How do I evict family from my home jointly owned with my parents?

• Thread Starter Desperately Needing Peace
  • Start date
D

Desperately Needing Peace

Jurisdiction
Maryland
I purchased a home with my parents many years ago. The mortgage to this house is paid off. All 3 of our names (mine and my parents) are on the deed to the house, and all 3 of us have resided in the house as primary residence since it was purchased. My father has passed away, and my mother is very elderly. Though I have siblings, all of them were born elsewhere, and this is NOT their birth-home. Over the years, when my siblings or their children have experienced hardships such as eviction from their rental property, they've moved into my home "temporarily" which often becomes a lengthy stay of many years. Currently, a niece and her children have "temporarily" resided in my home rent-free for over two years. Her mother (my sister) does not stay in my home. Both my mother and I want the freeloading to cease and to reclaim the house that we own and live in. What must we do to get these people out of our house?

You file the paperwork for an eviction and when family asks to move in, you say "no". It doesn't matter if they were born in the house or not.

What must we do to get these people out of our house?

While I agree with Jay about the ultimate process, you are not a professional landlord and might shoot yourself in the foot if you get the process wrong.

I suggest you start by "telling" your guests that the free ride is over and they need to find another place to live and that they have a week to pack up and leave. That, of course is not proper notice but, as a former landlord, I have found that people can find another place to live in a hurry if they have to.

The oral notice also serves another purpose. Within the week you will quickly learn if you will have to play hardball or not and at the end of the week you can give proper written notice followed by eviction if necessary. I suggest only the minimum 30 days because the longer you give them the longer they will take.

Unfortunately, once you have told these people that they have to leave, you will have to be careful about not leaving your house unattended with them alone in it.

Back