How can I get a court order to remove slanderous comments from a website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncool

My jurisdiction is: California

Hi. A post at the complaintsforum was made about me & my hobby business I run but was completely false and a lie. The owners of the site said they only remove content with a court order. I don't want to have to hire an attorney if I can file the court order myself.

Also, is it possible to obtain the user's email, ip address, etc (who posted the lies) with a subpoena? How else would I go about doing that? I may try to sue for defamation of character since everything he wrote is a lie (at which, yes, I will probably have to hire a lawyer).

Thanks in advance for anyones help.

Is this a large company? Part of the problem is always determining whom to sue. It may help you if you tell the company you're going to sue them - but send a written letter first.

I'll tell you this much - unless the statement is clearly false (and not just opinion), you'll have a difficult time getting the comment removed. This is because if there isn't a false statement uttered (and not just harsh opinion), there isn't really a basis to remove the post. You may be better off looking for other violations of the site's terms of use in order to get the post removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back