House was sold with leaking roof and rotted floor

C

ChrisBow

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
My Girlfriend bought a house a little over a year ago, the home was inspected by a home inspector from the bank. I am a licensed journeyman carpenter so I know some about water damage/rot. (The house was bought before I met my Girlfriend.)
I found the sink in the bathroom was leaking under the tile floor and had completely rotted the bathroom floor and several structural floor joists, it was obvious as a builder this had been leaking for several years. We repaired that.
Now we have had some hard rain, I noticed some water leakage from the attic, upon further inspection I found several leaks and water damage that is obviously has been leaking for a long time. I can see that the roof shingles were installed incorrectly.
What can we legally do in this matter?

What can we legally do in this matter?

Legally there is NOTHING WE can do.
Legally there is NOTHING SHE can do.
Practically speaking HER options are as you've already discovered, keep fixing the rotting mass of wood.

She probably bought a a bad house.
In the future she must be far more diligent before she signs on the dotted line and forks over her cash.

Legally there is NOTHING WE can do.
Legally there is NOTHING SHE can do.
Practically speaking HER options are as you've already discovered, keep fixing the rotting mass of wood.

She probably bought a a bad house.
In the future she must be far more diligent before she signs on the dotted line and forks over her cash.
Thank you..

You may have some cause of action against the home inspector if they missed these obvious items, but then again a year later may be too late.

Back