House bought in auction, when do I move out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnyseas

I recieved a notice that my house is being forclosed, and it was being auctioned on 10/07/09. Well someone bought my house and my question is, How long do I have to move out?

They still have to evict you from the house. Common practice is that someone will contact you in the next 2 weeks to see how willing you are to move out. If you are lucky they will just negotiate with you as to how long you need to move out without an eviction. I have even seen people get paid to move and given say 2 months. It depends on who is doing the negotiating. Don't worry, no one is on their way to throw your things into the yard.

They will probably want your permission to come into the house to see the condition of it. I would allow that if I were you. You don't own the house anymore but you are still the resident. Work with them and they will likely work with you.

Even if they go right for eviction, answer the eviction petition. Say something like, I deny they have a right to evict me when you answer the petition. When you show up at court go to the attorney for the other side and tell him/her you are willing to move and work out a date. They will be happy to do this for you.

Of course Cruella DeVille might have bought your house and they won't work with you. The very worst case you are looking at is 7-10 days to be served, answer within 7 days, and 10 days after the judgment they can come throw you out if you aren't gone already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back