Hospital collection after 61/2 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swrdmbo

I was involved in a car accident in Maryland on 1-695 on our way to the airport on April 7,2002. We live in Ohio. We were rear ended and I was transported to the nearby hospital by ambulance. Geico was in charge of paying all the bills and for REIMBURSING medicare for bills they paid on my behalf that were related to the crash.

I was assured by the GEICO agent that this was done. I submitted all our medical bills to her and we closed the case.

Now...6 1/2 years later I get a bill from the hospital for $235.00. I called them to tell them I thought the statute for collecting specified 6 years was the limit and I did not feel I should be held responsible. They told me that Medicare took back the payment in October of 2007 because they said they had not been re-imbursed by GEICO.

I do not know if I could even find the file now since it has been so long.

I am now getting nasty letters from a collection agency saying I must pay the bill to avoid legal action. Am I really responsible for this bill?? Shouldn't there be some TIME LIMIT on these things??

Please advise me as to what I can do to avoid paying this. Thank-you for your time.

I am not familiar with the statute of limitations in your state, so I can't speak to that issue. Regardless, the SOL is the time limit the creditor has to take legal action. If you owe the money now, you will always owe the money (unless you file bankruptcy). It may be reported to your credit report pursuant to the FCRA. If it falls within the SOL, you may be sued. I would contact GEICO and see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back