Honesty in conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dome9

I need know when a person is required to answer me truthfully and completely. Does the general issue of honesty in conversation have a name? Not necessarily involving money so not 'fraud'.

When I ask for information I want to be sure of what profession in what organization the answerer is. How should I phrase the question politely and naturally?

I need know when a person is required to answer me truthfully and completely. Does the general issue of honesty in conversation have a name? Not necessarily involving money so not 'fraud'.

When I ask for information I want to be sure of what profession in what organization the answerer is. How should I phrase the question politely and naturally?

No one is required to answer YOU (a private citizen) TRUTHFULLY.

If you are speaking to the police (or other law enforcement), they are even FREE to deceive, lie, or trick you.

As far as the feds (and most law enforcement), you can't LIE or deceive them.

Your best recourse is to be smart and use your RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT and avoid self incrimination.

As far as general conversations, again, no one is REQUIRED to even answer you, much less be TRUTHFUL in any answer they give you.

BE VERY WARY of things you are told.

I didn't ask this question because i was in any trouble atm. Thanks for the concern.
Everyone can lie about everything (except to law enforcement)? No-one is required to be honest about the job they are doing like a roofer about the state of my roof or a state department phone representative about travel advisories to Africa?

There aren't any, or many, laws that require someone to be truthful. However, IF someone lies to you AND IF as a direct result of that lie you experience measurable damages as the law views damages, you may have legal recourse through civil court.

I didn't ask this question because i was in any trouble atm. Thanks for the concern.
Everyone can lie about everything (except to law enforcement)? No-one is required to be honest about the job they are doing like a roofer about the state of my roof or a state department phone representative about travel advisories to Africa?

You can lie to anyone about anything.
You can tell the beautiful young thing, you love her.
The pretty young thing can tell you she's 21, while she's only 14 years old.
Ten months later, the PYT can tell you the baby is yours, all the while knowing its a lie.

If you lie to the FBI, for example and the lie is discovered, you can be charged with a crime.
I'm sure you remember Martha Stewart.

Yes, a roofer can tell you, that in HIS opinion you need a new roof.
You ask another roofer, and he says you simply need a few shingles.

We all know the State Department lies.
We also know most presidents have lied, as do most politicians.
They call them campaign promises.

Sorry, lying isn't necessarily a crime.

Government can't prohibit lying.

I'm not sure where you're headed.

Echoing what CBG posted.

It's not the lying that's the problem. The real question is, "can I sue for damages occurring as a result of the lie".

And the answer to that is...

"Maybe".

(Or rather, sure, you can sue anybody for just about any thing - but a ruling in your favor is another matter entirely)

'The media' could make up a fake country and constantly run fake news about it?
A drug dealer can't be prosecuted for telling someone that dealing and using illicit drugs is legal?
Could someone at GPO or .gov website just change a few things just for fun and be immune from prosecution?
Can a lawyer I hired do anything like these?

'The media' could make up a fake country and constantly run fake news about it?

My goodness, my friend, where have you been?
The media is known for just making stuff up.
I suppose they could create mythical countries, and scam the people.
Hmmm, I don't know why I'm thinking the media helped elect this dude from Chicago a few years back?
He had this feisty pastor, screaming something about chickens coming home to roost.

A drug dealer can't be prosecuted for telling someone that dealing and using illicit drugs is legal?

No one can be prosecuted for lying to another human being.
Not even your mythical drug dealer.
We owe no duty to other citizens.
If lies could get people locked up, "the checks in the mail", "I'll love you in the morning", "you're my first one", "I just had ONE BEER, officer", "I'm not having an affair, honest baby", and my favorite; "You is the baby's daddy, Marcus, honest".

Could someone at GPO or .gov website just change a few things just for fun and be immune from prosecution?

"That's what would be termed 'hacking', but yeah, if SOMEONE never got caught.
ANONYMOUS comes to mind.
Or, if SOMEONE lived in North Korea, they could even hack the IRS without fear of prosecution."

Can a lawyer I hired do anything like these?

Yes, of course a lawyer CAN lie, cheat, deceive, steal, kill, rape, maim, loot, riot, and even tell a four year child; sonny, there ain't no Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, or Tooth fairy.

A security professional, safety equipment salesman, RV salesman, sales clerk at a gun shop, or police officer tells a person that anesthetic gasses like medical diethyl ether are useless to criminals and does not stock or know where someone could buy relevant detectors and alarms. experience proves different. which of the listed professions are liable and under what laws?

A security professional, safety equipment salesman, RV salesman, sales clerk at a gun shop, or police officer tells a person that anesthetic gasses like medical diethyl ether are useless to criminals and does not stock or know where someone could buy relevant detectors and alarms. experience proves different. which of the listed professions are liable and under what laws?

Why in God's Holy Name would someone be discussing ETHER with any of those people?
If someone were discussing ETHER with any of those fine people, I suspect they'd refer the curious person to discus the subject with their physician.

However, just because person XXX tells me TTTT will be okay, I'd be negligent NOT to perform further investigatory efforts on my own behalf before proceeding. Bottom line, if I act of my own accord, I'm ultimately responsible for what I do.

What exactly is your goal here - are we doing homework?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back