Home Owner Association

Status
Not open for further replies.

adri

I have bought a house (detached, I own the house & plot) in an area with a home owners association. I did not receive a copy of their constitution (rules & regulations) beforehand. We pay a levy which is supposedly for their services (admin etc.) and upkeep of a communal swimming pool. I do not make use of this pool and I made it clear that I do not want to make use of it. As I cannot figure out what services they provide me, I think it is only fair that I do not have to pay for services that I do not want or admin of an association that I do not want to be part of.

Can anyone help me with some advice.

I in no way, intend this to be a correct answer. I'm just really chatty today.

I would think you should talk to the person(s) that sold you the home/plot. If this is a payment above what you financed, or what you agreed to with the original seller, I think they would at least have to re-emburse some amount for this cost.

I would also check with the association, and see if that's optional.. U didn't say if you'd spoken with them as of yet.

I don't think there will be a way to avoid the charges, if it was an agreement with the seller of the home. I'm gonna bet that somewhere in that closing paperwork, there is mention of the levy cost, or "community" costs...

Hi
In the original agreement the levy was mention as being for the upkeep of the communal swimming pool. The house is however not part of a housing complex. The pool is more of a hassle than a benefit to me, because the majority of people using it is from outside the area and do not have to pay for it. I do not agree with paying for something I do not use. As I see it I am paying for the upkeep of the pool used by non paying people. The homeowners association told me that I can have a copy of their bylaws, but I would have to pay for it. Do you think this is right?

I would think that any kind of an agreement you have to pay for, the management should provide a copy of the "rules" to follow without further cost. Have you already paid the annual fees for pool upkeep, etc.?

Anyone that knows what they're talkin' about can step up now..... :)

Pay up

The homeowner's association has the right to collect the dues and to file a lein against your property if you do not pay.

You may have recourse against the previous owners if they did not disclose the existence of the Association but you owe the fee whether you like it or not.

If you do not like the way the pool is being run then you need to run for election the the HOA board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back