Consumer Law, Warranties Home improvement contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmcmcharlie

I am considering adding a roof (that will be attached to my house) to a existing elevated deck. I have found a contractor that we like and which others have had good results. Wording in the contract concerns me. It states "Contractor not responsible for any unforeseen structural damage to existing building". I believe he wants protection if there is something going now in my home that he is unaware of. Would it be better to read "Contractor not responsible for any unseen existing structural damage"? If I would sign this unchanged I believe I would be releasing him any legal liability should something happen to my home.

Please provide advise.

Thanks, Mark

The contractor does not want to be responsible for damage caused to the existing structure by the new one. The contractor can't gaurantee the structural integrity of what is already there.
Attaching the two structures could potentially cause unforeseen stresses that develop over time. The contractor, not having built the existing structure, wants no responsibility for it. This is perfectly normal.
You should check whether your home warranty/insurance would cover any such damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back