Security Deposit Holding deposit refund

JDeal1030

My cousin and I applied for a home for rent we found online and were approved for a house that wasn't ready for move in for another 3 weeks due to renovations. We were asked to pay a 1 month rent deposit immediately prior to even doing a walk through of the home or else they would have to allow others the opportunity to rent the home. We paid the deposit. One week prior to our move in date, we were informed the home wouldn't be ready for an additional 2-3 weeks due to ongoing renovations. We told the leasing agency we could not wait that long and would have to find something else available sooner.

We were told our deposit would be returned to us and had been mailed. It has been almost a month now and we still haven't had the deposit returned. Our phpne calls haven't been returned either. It feels like we are being ignored and given the run around. Can anyone give us advice moving forward? Thanks

Your potential remedy lies in a small claims court room in your county.
No one is required to accede to the demands of others.
Be warmed, even a judgment from a small claims court won't mean you'll ever see a dollar of the deposit.
This is why one should only leave a one dollar deposit for any good or service.
I recommend NOT leaving a deposit, but purchasing an existing good or service, not a promised one.
The person leaving a deposit usually gets screwed.

Back