HOA trying to fine me $500, trying to bully me

Status
Not open for further replies.

blinelaxd27

My condominium is issuing me a fine of $500 for two of my guests setting off four fireworks outside on the 4th of July. Mass. law states that the fine is $10 to $100 max. The handbook for the condominium does not list fireworks as a violation and states that any violation is a $50 fine for a first offense. Furthermore they stated that the weather was really dry that night, when in reality it was raining, and I have the weather report to prove it. They have not justified the fine in any quantifiable means and have denied my appeal. While I admit my guests fault, I think they are trying to take advantage to get more money out of me because they are going against the fine allowable by law. No one on the board saw my guests doing this. The police were never notified, and neither was the fire department.

Is this an issue I can take to small claims court? They are trying to bully me by saying that I need an attorney to talk to them and that they won't discuss anything with me. I feel as though they are banking on the fact that an attorney will cost more than the fine and I will cave and pay it. Help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back