HOA law suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

railman

I am a board member of an HOA and am behind on my dues. The management company has filed a lien through an attorney. Shortly after I received the lien letter I received a letter from the sherriff's dept. notifying me of a judgement that has been placed on the HOA. After a little research I learned that the files that are recorded in the court house listing the plots for the HOA do not match the covenants and by-laws nor my deed or the others in my part of the neighborhood. The HOA has decided to fight this law suit as it would set a precedence if word got out that the residents may not be a part of the HOA. I have decided to not pay the dues or the lien and am waiting to see the outcome of this case. Should I go ahead and pay or wait on it. If I pay I probably won't see a refund on the money. Can I use this as leverage to get the lien removed?

Hey Railman,

I'm in the similar situation (late on fees). Put my post in mortgages and foreclosers, having to answer in writing quickly. No one would give me a good response. Can't afford a lawyer, so I'll end up giving them a "hardship" letter, with a check in "good faith", make payments, best we can each month, and hope for the best..

I hope the court will have mercy and not proceed with foreclosure in this day and age, for HOA fees less than $1,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back