HOA board members arrested over $2million stolen from residents

army judge

Super Moderator
Jurisdiction
Florida
(Author's note: I have always suspected that some, if not a majority of HOA boards were corrupt. Perhaps this recent arrest of some HOA board muckity mucks might just be the tip of an iceberg.
=================================
BOARD members from Florida's largest homeowners association allegedly stole $2million from residents, according to the Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office.

Former and current officials from the Hammocks Community Association that was in charge of 40 communities in West Kendall allegedly took millions from the organization and pocketed it for themselves in a scheme that lasted years.

Those who were charged included the former HOA president Marglli Gallego and her husband, Jose Antonio Gonzalez, the current HOA president Monica Isabel Ghilardi, board member Myriam Arango Rodgers, and former board member Yoleidis Lopez Garcia.

All five of them have pleaded not guilty.

"Racketeering and money laundering are terms we usually associate with drug cartels," Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle said in November 2022 when the board members were arrested.

Rundle added: "Never would anyone have connected such serious criminal allegations to one of the largest homeowner associations in Florida."

"The charges stem from misappropriating board funds to [Gallego's] own use," the state attorney said.

Ten months prior to being charged with stealing millions, the HOA board held a secret budget meeting and then implemented a 300 to 400 percent increase in monthly maintenance fees, according to the Miami Herald.

After the leaders' arrests, a resident spoke out about the high fees she was paying.

"It was fine until this new board took over. It's gone to crap," Hammock Trails resident Shannon Baratz told local Fox affiliate WSVN at the time.

"I'm paying almost $500 in an HOA. That's ridiculous."

Baratz accused the HOA of abusing residents' money.

"This has really set me back. I didn't want to lose my house, so what else could I do?" she said. "They were threatening to take it away if I don't pay them."

David Gersten, who began supervising the HOA after the scandal came to light found that the scheme actually generated $1million more than previously reported.

Gersten said in court in February 2023 that the fraud turned out to be $3 million "and counting," The Real Deal reported.

The court-ordered receiver explained that ex-board members used 55 bank accounts and credit cards, which Gersten called this "exceedingly abnormal" for an association.

Four other ex-HOA board members were also sued in April 2023 for allegedly playing a part in the scheme by "allowing or failing to stop the ongoing misappropriation of funds by former board members," according to the civil complaint obtained by The Real Deal.

Ligia Capielo, Merlene Kopec, Madeline Maceda, and Luz Ordonez were named in the lawsuit as the defendants.

Hammocks HOA Receiver Sues Board Members Over Alleged Fraud

Last April an election was held for seven new board members.

"It was a secure and fair election. The best I've seen in my 30 years here, and we feel relief," Idalmen Ardisson, who led by 926 votes in the election, told the Miami Herald.

snapshot_www.the-sun.com_1691298194641.png
Former Hammocks Community Association president Marglli Gallego was one among five people who allegedly stole $2million in an HOA fraud schemeCredit: WSVN

snapshot_www.the-sun.com_1691298230846.png
Gallego's husband, Jose Antonio Gonzalez, (pictured) and other former and current board members were a part of the scam and charged in November 2022Credit: WSVN

My HOA board were arrested over $2m stolen from residents after 300% fee hike

Author's note: I have always suspected that some, if not a majority of HOA boards were corrupt.

I can believe it.

I've never lived in an HOA, and don't intend to, but I have read the stories and known several people who have reported boards that were, if not corrupt, at the very least misfeasant (if that's a word).

PS: It always amuses me that mug shots always make the subjects look like criminals.

I can believe it.

at the very least misfeasant (if that's a word).

Malfeasant is the word you were looking for.

And if I can help it, I won't ever have a home in an HOA. I don't believe that most are corrupt and embezzling money, but from clients and friends I know who live in HOAs a lot of HOA boards are filled with busybodies who take great delight in making everyone conform to their vision of what homes and neighborhoods should look like.

Back