Hit & run MV accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

the2secondrule

My jurisdiction is: New Jersey - where I live !!

Don't know for sure whether this should be posted on this thread?
I was rear-ended in a hit-run accident on Belt Pkwy in Queens, NY. Was able to note license # & vehicle make prior to offender fleeing scene. Called 911, PD responded & took relevant info. for police report. I declined transport to hospital. Spend 3-4 hours in E.R. only to be issued a soft cervical collar, an aspirin, & be told to see my own Dr. (which I've done) Also, my car would have been on cement blocks or in a chop-shop before I'd be able to retrieve it.

Here's the kicker. I have no idea who the offender is. The PD will not investigate since I survived the accident. They are "too busy" with other, more serious cases. I tried to obtain info on guilty party thru the DMV but was told 'privacy laws' will not let them divulge the info. Geez, does the perp have more rights than the victim?

I have contacted an attorney & of course reported the accident to my insurance co. Am at present under Dr's care & receiving physical therapy. The effects of 'whiplash'.

If nothing comes of this as far as a suit, I'd be more than pleased if the offender was at least ticketed for leaving the scene. Am I correct in assuming that 'hit & run' is a criminal offense? Comments, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back