Hit and run in MN

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A couple weeks ago I was involved in a property hit and run. I was driving on a frozen lake, off the plowed path, and ran into someone's fish house, thank god nobody was in there. I wasn't going very fast only 20 to 25 mph, and by the time I saw it, it was too late. I panicked and left the scene. I had been drinking slightly, however it wasn't enough to be an issue. It caused a substantial amount of damage to my truck, and the fish house.

This week I receive a call from a local police officer asking for a statement. I said I had nothing to say. Then the next day I get a call from a LEO in the county where the incident happened. He said they know it was me, and that people have given statements saying I was there. I say that I have spoken to a lawyer, and have no comment. He then informed me that I will be getting a certified letter within a few days.

What should I expect? I know in MN fleeing the scene of an accident is a misdemeanor. Will I get jail time, and is there a way to avoid losing my drivers license? I'm not in the position to afford to hire my own attorney, can I still get a public defender? If I lose my DL I'm afraid I will lose my job.

I know I really screwed up, I panicked, and didn't know what to do.

I'm very sorry to hear about your misfortune. The fact that nobody was there to prove you were potentially under the influence of alcohol or drunk driving should be viewed as a positive for you. At least nobody got hurt - another positive. Now it's time to deal with the mistake of fleeing the scene. Your defense lawyer is in the best position to advise you. It's impossible for us to say what will happen not being familiar with all the details of the case, the people involved and the alleged evidence. I wouldn't worry about a certified letter. You are entitled to a public defender if you cannot afford an attorney, who should know how to handle the case. I would make no comments and retain counsel, perhaps the public defender, as soon as possible. This is clearly the first and most important step you should take. Good luck with your case.

My guess is that if they identified the OP then it is "more likely than not" that any civil case would result in the plaintiff winning, if it went that far. And regarding loss of the license... again, very possible and the goal might be a reduction in time.

The bottom line is talk to a lawyer or ask for a public defender if you can't afford a lawyer - he/she will help you get the best outcome possible. (go over your options with you & answer any questions you might have)

Since this happened in January, you might have already obtained counsel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back