Hit and run, Driver lying to insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

bella8301

My car was recently parked in a lot while doing some grocery shopping. When I came out of the store, I had found my car had been backed into. Luckily there was a note left from an anonymous person on my windshield. The note stated " License plate XXX-1234 hit your care. It was a white truck". I called the police immediately to make a report. The police came out and reviewed all the damage. The officer had told me that the note was only considered as a "tip" being that the person did not leave their info. The officer then proceeded to tell me that the only way we would be able to catch the offender is if the other vehicle had damage, or the driver just flat out admitted it. He advised me to get the report once it was done, and if they had found any evidence it would be on the report. Low and behold, when I received the report, there was a drivers name on it, she made statement to him saying " I may have hit a vehicle, but was not aware at the time." The report also said there was damage to the back of her truck. I called my insurance to advise them of what had happened. The advised me to place a claim with the drivers insurance so they could pay me directly for damage. Her insurance (Allstate) was extremely helpful with me, (they inspected my car) and advised me they needed to get in touch with the insured, but were having a hard time doing so. The driver did not get back to them for until two weeks passed. When they did get a hold of her, she told them she did NOT back into my car, and was not at fault. They asked to have her car inspected as well, and when she took it in.... amazingly the damage was gone. Her insurance now wants to deny the claim, and I am definitely going to fight this....

What should I do????

You could have (and should have) originally filed a vandalism claim, not a hit and run. You don't know how the damage was caused. As the officer tried to tell you, what you found was only a "tip", a useless "tip"!

You could speak with an attorney and try to sue someone.

As long as the other person STFU, you'll lose with that tactic.

It appears that after two weeks the alleged damage to the other car disappeared. The other person has been schooled as to how she should handle this.

In the meantime, here you sit with a damaged auto, worse off than when you started. If I were you, I'd file a vandalism claim with my insurer. That is, assuming, they'll allow you to do so.

If that dog won't hunt, you'll have to dig deep and pay for your own repairs. You have no proof, unless the store has videotape or digital images of the incident.

Just received a check in the mail from the drivers insurance company. They paid me due to her pretty much admitting on the police report she may have hit me, and then changed her story with them. Glad I put up a fight! Thanks anyways!

Just received a check in the mail from the drivers insurance company. They paid me due to her pretty much admitting on the police report she may have hit me, and then changed her story with them. Glad I put up a fight! Thanks anyways!

WOW, you sure scared that INSURANCE COMPANY!!!!

Yeah, right!

Ya... that is what I had thought. It didn't matter that the damage was gone. You had the officer's observations in the report. Had it gone to court you would have had a pretty convincing argument to make, I think. It was cheaper for them to just pay you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back