1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

HIPAA Violation Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Health Insurance, HMO, HIPAA & Disability' started by Steve in PA, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Steve in PA

Steve in PA Law Topic Starter Guest

Jurisdiction:
    Pennsylvania
    My health insurance provider inadvertently mailed a summary of benefits that contained private information about my wife to my brother.

There were no damages. I think HIPAA doesn't provide a private cause of action unless damages occur. Are there any other federal or PA laws that I can look at to see if they apply to this situation?

2. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

Inadvertent action + no damages= non-issue.

There is nothing to pursue, no remedy to seek.

3. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

What is your ultimate goal here?

4. Betty3

Betty3 Super Moderator

It was an "honest error" & no damages, I see no cause of action. Why the concern?

5. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

Depending on the OP's answer to my question, I *may* have a suggestion for him but it depends on what he is trying to do.

6. ElleMD

ElleMD Well-Known Member

You are correct there is no private right of action under HIPAA. You can report it to HHS, but I would not expect much to happen based on a one time honest mistake with no damages.