Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft helppp please ,

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacret1214

I was fired for theft from my previous employer. While being fired I wrote a confession in the amount of 48.00 and agreed to pay. ( very nervously ) now I was sent a letter from a law office , it was a civil claim in the amount of 240.00 and another letter for the 48.00. What happens if I don't pay it?

Your states law on Civil Demand (the $240.00 fine). If you still do not not understand any possible consequences still come back and we will try to explain. Far as not paying the $48.00 it too can carry severe consequences. Failure to pay them the $48.00 could provoke them to file the criminal complaint they did not file at time

Ok what is your exact concern and I will address it. I realize I could have done this earlier but I thought it helpful if you saw actualy law first and it migh thave answered your question

If I don't pay it what happens? I really don't hhave any money, and I'm not working. So even if they made payment arrangements with me I would not be able to pay.

And if I could come up with the 48.00 could I just pay that since that's what the theft amount was for? Do I have to pay the civil claim....

Basically I just want to know what could happen

First off talk to store and see if you make them whole by paying the $48.00 if they will pull Civil Demand request. Now its the norm for internals (employees that steal) do not get Civil demand request so this is odd but not unlawful. If they will not you need to find some means to pay or make a payment arrangement you will keep! The consequences for not paying can be both severe and costly. Here are a few.

. Failure to pay or acknowledge letter will likely result in a tripling of fine so $240.00 becomes $720.00. Fines might increase more before they take further action

. They (the civil recovery service) can also send a negative report to all the major credit reporting agencies. This will impact you for years!

. They (the civil recovery service) can sue you in court. They will win and get the increased fines plus legal costs and court fees. You will then owe thousands possibly. If they so choose they can garnish wages or put leins on property

. They (the store) could file the criminal complaint they did not file at time since you failed to pay the civil demand. If you go to court they (the court) might order you pay the civil fine or face probation violation and possible jail.

This is just example. They may to choose to do any one more or all of these things if you fail to pay.Remember this is "state law" so there is no real way around it. Now both the civil recovery service and/or store may choose to do none of these things. However this is a gamble and big one at that. Keep in mind the civil recovery service gets no money unless they collect so its in their best interest to pursue these funds. Bottomline its your call to make and your risk. Personally I think it sin your best interest and future to find a way to pay this.

No because I didn't actually steal. They referred it more as hooking up a family member but yes they had proof of it and I did confess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back