Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse Help

Angieb

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
A few days ago I was caught red handed buying hydrocodone pills. And got a simple possession charge. I have NEVER been in trouble before. I realize I am an addict. Will I go to jail for this??????? I'm so SCARED I'm putting myself in outpatient rehab this coming week. I know I need help. I meet with a lawyer tomorrow, but I NEED some kind of piece of mind so I can eat and sleep. I have NEVER BEEN SO SCARED IN ALL MY LIFE!!!!

If you were going to get jail time you would already be there. You can expect fines and to be ordered by the court to take some classes. Anything you do toward rehab prior to court could help reduce any action the court might otherwise take against you.
At some point you will either hire or be appointed legal counsel and that person can give you the best idea of what to expect.

If you were going to get jail time you would already be there. You can expect fines and to be ordered by the court to take some classes. Anything you do toward rehab prior to court could help reduce any action the court might otherwise take against you.
At some point you will either hire or be appointed legal counsel and that person can give you the best idea of what to expect.

I have an appt with a lawyer tm. I'm also putting myself in outpt rehab this wk. I'm Still so terrified to enter a court room. All I will be doing is crying uncontrollably.

How do you figure that? She just got caught, not convicted.

Things may be different in this TN jurisdiction, but generally first time offenses like this don't result in any more jail time than the initial booking. For years courts have increasingly leaned toward treatment over confinement.

I sure hope this is the case. I immediately went to my aa meeting where they welcomed me with open arms! It felt so refreshing to be around those that have the same or similar issues as me. I never in my life thought I would turn into this type of person. I'm so disgusted with myself. I've hurt some people over this but mostly, myself. I do believe, and it's unfortunate, that this had to happen in order for me to get the help that I have been putting off for far too long. Thanks for the advice. I meet with a lawyer this evening and pray to God he gives me piece of mind about not going to jail. I'll do anything to avoid that!

QUOTE="Highwayman, post: 267330, member: 111149"]How do you figure that? She just got caught, not convicted.[/QUOTE]
Things may be different in this TN jurisdiction, but generally first time offenses like this don't result in any more jail time than the initial booking. For years courts have increasingly leaned toward treatment over confinement.

Not only is jail time extremely unlikely for simple possession, if it is a first offense you might have options available to avoid conviction and keep a clean record. Your attorney can explain what options are available under your specific circumstances.

Even if you get jail time, highly irregular if you have a fairly clean criminal record, it won't happen until the spring of 2018, or later.

In the meantime, stay active with NA or AA, and get yourself into an INPATIENT drug rehabilitation program of at least 90 days.

You should appear in court, plead NOT guilty, and ask the judge if you qualify for a public defender.

Thank you, for the info, but the county I go to court in is Davidson. A lawyer just contacted me and said that he has never had a case where a first time simple possession charge went to jail. I have a very clean record other than getting a speeding ticket. I'm feeling a little better about going to court now but still on the verge of tear, especially when I look at my children. It's hard to try and act happy and normal around them but I am doing my best! I'm a good person that has an addiction problem. I know I'm not alone.....

UOTE="army judge, post: 267342, member: 73455"]Good news, your county, Knox County, TN has a drug court.

Read all about that court and what it can offer you:

Knox Drug Court offers alternative for offenders

Drug Courts

Knox County Drug Court - Knoxville, TN - Alignable

TN drug court deals in second chances

Review of Drug Court Program in Knox County (Knoxville) Tennessee[/QUOTE]

Thank you, for the info, but the county I go to court in is Davidson. A lawyer just contacted me and said that he has never had a case where a first time simple possession charge went to jail. I have a very clean record other than getting a speeding ticket. I'm feeling a little better about going to court now but still on the verge of tear, especially when I look at my children. It's hard to try and act happy and normal around them but I am doing my best! I'm a good person that has an addiction problem. I know I'm not alone.....
\\

Not to worry, Davidson County TN also has a drug court for 1st time drug offenders:

Drug Court of Metropolitan Nashville & Davidson County | Drug Court of Metropolitan Nashville & Davidson County

Back