Help with Terms and Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

IneedAdvise

Is it ok to use the Terms and Conditions of a similar online business and do editing to it or could that cause legal issues?

If you are asking whether using the Terms and Conditions from another website may infringe the copyright of the author of those terms and conditions, the answer is a very weak "maybe." Most terms and conditions have such similar language that it is highly unlikely that there is anything sufficiently creative in the T&C to merit copyright protection.

If by "causing legal issues" you are asking whether there are issues related to the website that are not covered by your T&C, that can certainly be the case. If their T&C misses something, then possibly you'll miss the same thing. If there are subtle differences between the websites that require that you have different T&C, then you may miss those.

I have written Terms and Conditions for a wide variety of websites. Even though I know what goes into a basic T&C, I always look at a few other sites in the same or similar business to make sure that no one else has a slightly different take on the issues than I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back