Help with request for writ of garnishment of wages

Blehifav

Jurisdiction
Maryland
Hello,
I am self employed (a barber) yet I got a letter saying that the District Court of Md issued a writ of garnishment of waves against me to be served to the shop I work out of. I got a copy of the writ separately in the mail from the law office. It seems that the judgment may be from an old car loan that was repossessed in summer 2015. I'm trying to see what is the best course of action. I don't even know who they would serve the letter to because I technically do not have an employer, yet I don't want to cause any unnecessary disruption for the owner of the building either. What would be the best thing to do?
Thank you for your time and help.

Hello,
I am self employed (a barber) yet I got a letter saying that the District Court of Md issued a writ of garnishment of waves against me to be served to the shop I work out of. I got a copy of the writ separately in the mail from the law office. It seems that the judgment may be from an old car loan that was repossessed in summer 2015. I'm trying to see what is the best course of action. I don't even know who they would serve the letter to because I technically do not have an employer, yet I don't want to cause any unnecessary disruption for the owner of the building either. What would be the best thing to do?
Thank you for your time and help.
Best course of action would to pay your debt.

The shop it was served upon should contact the issuer to explain that you are not an employee. There should be instructions included.

Things are only going to get harder if you don't do as justblue suggested.

I don't want to cause any unnecessary disruption for the owner of the building either.

It's already happened. The shop owner has been served as garnishee (potential holder of property or money belonging to you) and has to file a response saying that you are not an employee.

That a writ of garnishment was served at all means that there was a court judgment against you at some time.

You don't have to do anything about the letter. However, understand that, since the wage garnishment failed, there are other options for the judgment creditor including, but not limited to, bank account levy and attachment of non-exempt property that can be sold to pay the debt.

There is one more thing that will make you very unhappy. It's called a "till tap" where a court officer will stand there during the day and every customer you serve will be required to hand the money over to the court officer. You won't make a dime for the duration until your debt is paid.

Seriously consider paying what you owe.

Back