HELP! newspaper published my name without permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmr198705

My fiance was murdered this past august and I could be considered as a witness/survivor. After this incident I was placed in witness protection and shortly after my name was published in the paper as being his girlfriend. this was after they had previously slandered his name in the paper after his own death for a past charge he obtained when he was 18.I gave no one permission to publish my name,espescially after the fact that I am on witness protection.Is there anything legaly I can do to obtain justice for myself and this man?

What would you want? Money? You want them to print a retraction? You are a part of a news story. They do not need permission to publish your name. I don't suggest they should speak ill of the dead but printing the truth about a charge he had when he was 18 is not slander. I'm not sure what you want.

Since you are in some form of witness protection, if the Judge wants to, he can issue a gag order to media outlets forbidding them from printing your name. Would that help?

They don't need your permission to print your name.
If anything, contact the newspaper's editor and as politely as possible inform him of your situation and request that your name be withheld. If you are too abrasive and demanding they may not feel compelled to do anything at all.

Truth and qualified privilege!

Absolutely right! Ther newspaper has not committed any act that can be considered actionable; and certainly not libel.

The printing of your name was in the course putting out a news piece that is of public interest, and the mention of some charges when the person was 18 may be a bit insensitive, but not libelous, because the statement was 100% factual and truth is an absolute defense to a claim of libel.

fredrikklaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back