Help my lawyer is billing to high

Status
Not open for further replies.

derie

My lawyer is billing for staff work at his cost per hour .I havent been recieving my bills I call office and request bill my bill is 24,000.00 .and he hasnt even got me child support. This is a domestic violence custody case . I hired him in July the 30th. My husbands attorney used to work for him his bill is 9000. Can the lawyer charge me for not answering phone no answering machine? he is charing me 98.95 . I asked him to ask judge to hold off on sale of home he said she wouldnt do that because im stay at home mom, and my husband decided not to go back to work because of large inheritance and in CA im not intitled to any. I got a realator to sale house, and all of a sudden my lawyer, judge approved picked my realator. she came to door with sale price without comming in. Husband says lawyer knows her I ask her how she knows my lawyer she says she doesnt, come to find out there kids are on same pop warner team. Now he has my money in an account in trust of and charing me for all escrow conversations and papers ect. Each lawyer got 13,000.00 and my bill is still owing after 24,000.00 and husband has credit from 13,000.00. I know each lawyer charges different . But time spent in court is same but not on billing. He saw me comming and took complete advantage. I will be homeless with out support with three kids.HELP

First thing to do is complain to your lawyer and get an explanation of the bill or get it lowered.

Second thing to do, if you still think it is too high, is have it taxed by the court. The lawyer will have to justify that the charges are reasonable.

thank you, do I do this threw the courts or the bar? He said after I question him about the bill that he will give me some discounts but he usually doesnt do this only to people that diserve it. he knows he is ripping me off. Ever heard of being billed for not being home to take the lawyers call?

The only places I'm familiar with, taxing a bill is done through the courts. Talk to your court clerk.

Giving a discount is not an admission he was ripping you off in the first place. "You deserve it" could mean he is sympathetic and is willing to do some work pro bono. I can understand why you might think otherwise, though. :)

Ever heard of being billed for not being home to take the lawyers call?

Yes. Sometimes the charge sticks, sometimes it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back