Help me understand this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zionmommy

I apologize ahead of time for how long this will be. I was involved in an accident in 2006 where I didn't have insurance and I was at fault. I realize it was my fault for not having insurance but there was hardly any damage and like an idiot I trusted the woman I hit because she said that she would just send me the repair bill and she wouldn't make an insurance claim. Months went by and I never heard from her so I didn't think about it. I went to court and paid the fine and settled all of that so legally I thought I was in the clear. 10 months later I get notified by the other insurance company that I owe them 3000 dollars and the smallest payment they would accept was 500 that I had to pay over the phone or they would take me to court. I didn't have that kind of money but I offered to make smaller payments which they refused. Fast forward a year and I finally get served with papers from some guy who I assume was the girl's husband who owned the car who is now suing me for pain and suffering in the amount of 2000 on top of the original 3000 from the insurance claim. I was served these papers that said I had 20 days to answer it so I wrote up an answer but when I went to file it with the court they told me there was no case number and that I didn't need to worry about it. I kept calling though for months just to make sure that it wasn't filed and it never was. Fast forward another year and the lawyer finally files it and of course I didn't know about it so they got a default judgment against me.
That was 2009, now it is 2011 and somehow the attorney was given the power to suspend my driver license if I don't keep up on my payments. I am a single mom of 3 kids currently without a car and living with my mother just to survive. I need to know if there is a way to stop my license from being pulled. I've tried to reason with the attorney but he will not answer any of my calls and is never at his office when I try to meet with him. I cannot make the payments without a way to get to a job and I live 2 miles from the nearest bus stop and have no one to watch my 3 young kids until after my mom gets off work at 7. Without my license there is no way for me to even get temp work, is there any way to petition someone to resolve this? I would appreciate any advice on this matter and sorry I wrote a novel. :confused:

It is possible for you to have the default judgment set aside... you will have to explain to the court that you were not served properly and had no notice of the hearing and jump through some hoops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back