Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse Help me understand federal drug conspiracy law and sentencing

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthewg

I am having difficulty understanding federal drug conspiracy.

Could someone explain this hypothetical to me?

Let's say Jeff is a large scale MDMA, Heroin, and Cocaine dealer in Nebraska. He sold 50g of MDMA to Adam from Delaware but also sold 1 kg of MDMA, 1kg of Heroin, and 1kg of Cocaine to other smaller dealers throughout the US. Adam sells the 50g of MDMA to people he knows locally. He also has an assistant Matt from Virginia who helps him sell MDMA sometimes by finding buyers. Overall, Matt helped Adam sell about 10g of MDMA. However, unknown to Adam, Matt also helped another guy (a bigger supplier) from Pennsylvania sell 5g of MDMA as well as 10g of Ketamine.

Assume that Jeff knows Adam, Adam knows Matt, Jeff doesn't know Matt and his other sources, and Adam doesn't know Matt's other sources.

Jeff, Adam, and Matt are arrested. The seller in Pennsylvania is not arrested. No one knows his real name. All everyone knows is that he is in Pennsylvania.

Jeff, Adam, and Matt are charged with a federal drug conspiracy.

Which drugs and which quantities will Jeff be responsible for at federal sentencing?
Which drugs and which quantities will Adam be responsible for at federal sentencing?
Which drugs and which quantities will Matt be responsible for at federal sentencing?

Where can Jeff be tried in federal court? Nebraska? Delaware? Virginia? Pennsylvania?
Where can Adam be tried in federal court? Nebraska? Delaware? Virginia? Pennsylvania?
Where can Matt be tried in federal court? Nebraska? Delaware? Virginia? Pennsylvania?

I would suggest that Jeff is responsible for all quantaties as they originated with him and were in large enough quantities that they would obviously be intended for resale. Jeff does not have to personally know the others, and conspiracy only requires two people anyway, of which Jeff is one and Adam is the other.
Yep, Jeff better keep a tight grip on the soap.

Jeff is definitely responsible for 1kg + 50g MDMA, 1kg cocaine, and 1kg heroin that sold. Is he responsible for the Pennsylvania Ketamine and MDMA? Which federal venue(s) can he be tried in? This is confusing.

I'm assuming your professor wouldn't exactly be thrilled at you not doing your homework yourself...

Agree, Pro. & it almost sounded like a "brain teaser puzzle" to me. (confusing to me)

I suggest you check out the laws in all the relevant states then. Google is your friend.

Since this is a hypothetical, which we generally don't do, agree to doing a google search to see if you can find your own answer(s). -- Unless someone here has the time & is willing to do the work/research for you.

I am having difficulty understanding federal drug conspiracy.

Could someone explain this hypothetical to me?

Let's say Jeff is a large scale MDMA, Heroin, and Cocaine dealer in Nebraska. He sold 50g of MDMA to Adam from Delaware but also sold 1 kg of MDMA, 1kg of Heroin, and 1kg of Cocaine to other smaller dealers throughout the US. Adam sells the 50g of MDMA to people he knows locally. He also has an assistant Matt from Virginia who helps him sell MDMA sometimes by finding buyers. Overall, Matt helped Adam sell about 10g of MDMA. However, unknown to Adam, Matt also helped another guy (a bigger supplier) from Pennsylvania sell 5g of MDMA as well as 10g of Ketamine.

Assume that Jeff knows Adam, Adam knows Matt, Jeff doesn't know Matt and his other sources, and Adam doesn't know Matt's other sources.

Jeff, Adam, and Matt are arrested. The seller in Pennsylvania is not arrested. No one knows his real name. All everyone knows is that he is in Pennsylvania.

Jeff, Adam, and Matt are charged with a federal drug conspiracy.

Which drugs and which quantities will Jeff be responsible for at federal sentencing?
Which drugs and which quantities will Adam be responsible for at federal sentencing?
Which drugs and which quantities will Matt be responsible for at federal sentencing?

Where can Jeff be tried in federal court? Nebraska? Delaware? Virginia? Pennsylvania?
Where can Adam be tried in federal court? Nebraska? Delaware? Virginia? Pennsylvania?
Where can Matt be tried in federal court? Nebraska? Delaware? Virginia? Pennsylvania?

You should discuss this with your lawyer, or advise those fish they nabbed, to stop blabbing all over the 'net and act like a clam. They are ALL better off to speak only to their public defenders and or private attorney.

Federal conspiracy raps can cast a very broad net.

Finally, everyone knows or should know that an UNKNOWN co-conspirator(s) are either SNITCHES or UNDERCOVER AGENTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back