Help me! I'm freaked by cyber-vigilantes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stalkedinAZ

I am in the unique position of being harassed online by the organization that claims to help people who are being harassed on line.

I posted some information on a yahoo newsgroup and a few weeks later I received a poorly written cease and desist order from someone claiming to be legal counsel for W.H.O.A. working to halt abuse on line. I am in possession of e-mails in which Jayne A. Hitchcock, who is trying to make a name for herself as the ultimate 'educator' about on-line harassment, misrepresents herself as an attorney in order to intimidate a Native American woman who is trying to expose one of those phony New Age scam artists who sells Native American ceremonies for profit. Ms. Hitchcock's organization is full of supporters who are impersonating Native Americans for the purpose of selling their ceremonies for profit, but only after they have distorted them beyond all recognition.

This so-called attorney told me that I could not post or refer to these e-mails and that I had to destroy them. He told me that he had established an attorney client relationship (with him?) by sending me the cease and desist e-mail and that I couldn't post that either. I went to the electronic frontier foundation's chilling effects page and input the letter.

A few hours later, I started getting these gray pop up messages (I was working on a paper in MS Word, but my yahoo mail was open in another window.) Whoever was sending these messages kept asking me to meet him or her outside. Why would anyone do this? This didn't stop until I closed by yahoo mail. Could this person have actually been in the library where I was working watching me? My friend said that there was a guy snooping around the department that I'm enrolled in at the University asking questions about me.

These people are starting to scare me. The group to which I posted has had a lot of problems with lurkers who get members e-mails and impersonate them. The only way this "attorney" could have gotten my e-mail was by joining this group or getting someone else to join the group (probably with a fake e-mail – the moderator wouldn't let W.H.O.A. members in because of a history of past impersonations, stalking and harassment of members)

How worried should I be and what can I do to protect myself. I don't want a bunch of private investigators scaring my girlfriend or harassing my family in order to get me to stop criticizing W.H.O.A., but I won't be intimidated into silence either? I have proof of everything I said in the forum, but this attorney is telling me I have to destroy the e-mails and that you can't post any e-mail without the writer's permissioin. Is this true if the e-mail shows that the author has done something wrong?

Has anyone had similar problems with this group?

:mad: :confused: :( :eek: :mad:

Do you know what state this individual is from? If so, you will definitely wish to contact the state bar association. One cannot misrepresent themselves to be an attorney or practice law without a license.

Yeah, I just happened to wander by. In reading this post the following question arose:

If someone sends me a letter I can share that letter with others (as long as I am not gaining commercially by doing so, I suppose).

If I received an e-mail, why could I not share that with others in the same manner?

There is a difference between one passing along a letter containing information about where to get legal assistance and one who actually offers to provide it without a license to practice law.

With regard to passing along a letter, there could be all sorts of issues, e.g. copyright infringement. If someone sent you a copy of a text with a copyright affixed, you might be liable for infringement if you decided to send it to a dozen of your best friends. Simply because someone committed a wrong sending it to you doesn't mean that any wrongful act committed vanishes at the point of the wrongful act.

If that is an answer to my question, what I am asking is whether it is OK to share an e-mail, by forwarding it to another person, much as one would share a letter with someone else.

Try these two examples:

My attorney sent me a letter that did not contain any "copyrighted" content, just his own words. Can I share that with others?

He does the same thing by e-mail. Can I share that with others?

I am asking because I notice on the Internet that some people are claiming their rights have been violated when someone passes on forum posts or e-mails. On the other hand, some are claiming that the posting in a public place, or the sending of an e-mail, without a request not to share it, does not restrict the communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back