Assault & Battery Help! I might get sued for battery..but with no witnesses or police report?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brittany05

I'm pretty scared right now..but basically an old, ex-best friend of mine whose friendship turned sour years ago and I ran into her 2 months ago, ended up punching her in the eye, then we made up and I said sorry a million times.

She calls me 2 weeks later telling me she needs surgery for a detached retina she claims I gave her..don't you need that fixed immediately? Anyways I offered to go with her to make sure everything's legitimate if she's asking me to pay and has no insurance. She quickly said she'd call me the next day after her checkup and hung up. Calls me the next day and tells me she already got it done and I owe her half the cost. Then she calls me back 2 minutes later and tells me I owe her the entire cost - $2037.

It sounded fraudulent and I was afraid she might record me and take me to court so I just avoided her. 2 months later, yesterday, her dad comes to my house and tells my dad while I'm at school that he's suing me if I don't pay them the full amount of the medical bill, which I believe is $2037+ whatever he feels like I owe them. I'm a full time college student with no money. Plus, there are no witnesses that I know of and no police report made that night of our fight. Do they really have a case? How do I know that detached retina is even from me? If I pay them, how can I to make sure they can't sue me later down on the line AFTER I already pay them, without leaving a trace of me having had anything to do with her eye? I'm also wondering what lawyer would actually take this case if it's my word against hers, so they could record what I say when I meet them and that becomes their proof. What should I do? Thanks guys I know this was long.

I would not pay them anything. Let her take you to court and sue you in small claims. You do admit to punching her in the eye so its possible you caused this injury. You might want to get a job because if she can prove you cause the injury and the judge rules in her favor, you'll need to pay the medical bills, plus she can sue you for pain and suffering.

I would not hand over any money unless they can show you original medical bills and then its up to you if you want to pay or let them take you to court. If they do that you risk a judgement on your credit if you lose.

Thanks. How can I do it to make sure it never reaches the courthouse? How do I put it in writing that they can't sue me later on if her eye happens to get worse? Do they actually have a case against me with no witnesses and no police report made that night? THanks again!

Ok nevermind..if I see the documents I'm just going to pay them. I'm going to type up a document saying:

I have paid in full, and at this time and forever you may not come back to me in the future to demand any more payment for any current or further damages, request to go to court, or force me to appear for anything related to this matter, or situation, as well as giving up the right to bring me back to court for any additional charges dealing with this case.

Have I covered everything? Where can I make this document legal?

Well, I'm not a lawyer, so I may be wrong, but... A document like that would not hold up in court. IF your ex-best friend AND her father (since he's probably covering her medical bills and insurance) agree to sign the document, then it MIGHT have some bearing in court... but I wouldn't count on it.

Yeah I was going to have them sign it, but turns out they dropped off a document they're demanding I sign or else they'll sue me. It states that I did indeed attack the victim on Nov 21, and that I agree to pay all costs associated with the victim's medical condition that I caused, and that any further costs associated with the incident will all be paid by me.

Then it has a line for me to sign, for the victim, and a line for the "witness".
They obviously typed it up at home, and I highly believe this is the way they're trying to get evidence I did anything. I still even find it hard to believe I am the cause of her detached retina, seeing as she "waited" 2 weeks to treat it. If I don't sign it they're taking me to court, where it's basically my word vs theirs.

The only evidence they have are a few vague text messages between us during the time the ex-best friend was at the doctor, with me saying I'm sorry she's going through it and that I'll help her however I can. That's it. Do they even have a case against me just on that one text message, with no police report made at that time?

The police report has nothing to do with this as they are suing you for a tort. A report would only help the other party.

You may want to read up on Torts and Defenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back