Parole, Probation Help, Father of felon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fedupinid

My son was recently convicted as a felon for domestic abuse. He had his first meeting with his probation officer this week. The probation officer told him he could not visit my house because I own firearms even though they are responsibly kept locked in a safe to which I am the only one with the combination. Does being at my house with the firearms in the safe constitute possesion? Any help would be appreciated.

One of his terms of probation appear to not be in the presence of firearms.
If he's smart, he'll do EXACTLY as his PO prescribes.
You could always remove the firearms before he arrives, or store them in a self storage locker, or let a friend keep them when he visits.

Or, you can meet him at another location where NO firearms are stored.

A probationer should always do as he or she is instructed by his or her PO.

Thanks for your reply Army Judge. I'll have to read his terms of probation, but I specifically remember the judge saying that he could not "possess" a firearm. Would you know or be able to direct me where I might find how the law defines possession of a firearm?

Thanks for your reply Army Judge. I'll have to read his terms of probation, but I specifically remember the judge saying that he could not "possess" a firearm. Would you know or be able to direct me where I might find how the law defines possession of a firearm?

You really don't want to pick a fight with his PO.

Yes, read EVERYTHING he was given, signed, acknowledged.

As a felon, he can't own a gun.

Probation is simply being incarcerated without bars or walls.

I suspect his PO interprets that as NOT being around guns.

It's not just the mere possession, it's likely the proximity that means not being near or around guns.

Don't make it worse for him, being on probation is hard enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back