Help!! - falsely charged..

Status
Not open for further replies.

netLegality

I am caught up in an unfortunate case of coincidence. I live in an university campus and a lady here complained to the university police that someone had gotten onto her website and left explicit messages describing things that they'd like to do to her. I may have happened to be visiting her web site at about the same time. That is the unbelievable part of the story.. the coincidence is almost unbelievable.

I was called in by the police and told that my computer was the one that was used to perform the act. I donot believe this.. My computer has restricted access and I am the one that uses it the most.

After initial questioning, I have now been requested to take the CVSA - which is the modern equivalent of a polygraph. While some friends ask me to trust the system and go ahead with the test as I have not done the act, some suggest that I don't. Please advise me on this..

Besides, I am not sure of what crime category this would fall under? I really donot have the time/ energy or money to deal with this. What could I do proactively to solve this as fast as possible? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by netLegality:
I am caught up in an unfortunate case of coincidence. I live in an university campus and a lady here complained to the university police that someone had gotten onto her website and left explicit messages describing things that they'd like to do to her. I may have happened to be visiting her web site at about the same time. That is the unbelievable part of the story.. the coincidence is almost unbelievable.

I was called in by the police and told that my computer was the one that was used to perform the act. I donot believe this.. My computer has restricted access and I am the one that uses it the most.

After initial questioning, I have now been requested to take the CVSA - which is the modern equivalent of a polygraph. While some friends ask me to trust the system and go ahead with the test as I have not done the act, some suggest that I don't. Please advise me on this..

Besides, I am not sure of what crime category this would fall under? I really donot have the time/ energy or money to deal with this. What could I do proactively to solve this as fast as possible? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'd say no to the polygraph. If you didn't do it then it is possible that the police are fabricating the truth and hoping you'll confess. One could obtain logs to see whether an IP address was used to make a post and if it wasn't you then it was either spoofed (sounds unlikely here) or they were simply trying to scare you into admitting something they suspected but had no proof (more likely.) Try asking them what proof they have and that they should show it to you because you know you are innocent. If they don't... then perhaps there is good reason to suspect their representations... or misrepresentations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back