Help!Accused of hacking private area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bguyon

Need help here! Where to go.......what to do!
Making a long story short here....

Been posting on this bb board attached to a website that has info I like to keep up to date on quite frequently. Moderator seems to have an unusal attitude lately. Ok....family problems, etc.....I drop it.....leave it alone.

This bb recently started a private membership area.......
Haven't had time to send in funds yet..........as matter of fact,
I don't like the idea of having to pay, made my voice known about it. (Ok...no big deal......I may not like it, but I can live with it and go on.)

Get an email from Webperson.....
Who gave you the link to our private area....
Responded with a dumbfounded reaction.
Several emails go back and forth.....I'm finally sent a copy
of what looks like a family members IP address in another state.

Call my family member........
Apparently they were on the public website and a public search engines, just clicking links entered a page they thought the web people were developing a new sections. (turns out somehow to be in the private area)

Email back person that first emailed me.......explained the situation. Said it was totally accidental....and suggested a few links they look at to correct the situation. This person is by no means dumb, but frequently admits that they never took a computer or a programers course.

Now long story....short.
This person went off on an emotional tangent...................
I've been banned, my family members have been banned.
They have posted a public announcement in their news sections
indicating that we had a malicious intent to purposely do this,
eventually resulting in expunging of the membership section.
This is a small board and although no direct names were mentioned, everyone knows it was us.
We have even had emails to them banned. They want no contact with us whatsoever.
The no contact, I could live with, but I feel that they are tarnishing our reputation by accusing of a federal criminal act (hacking on purpose to avoid payment) on a public news section.

As a follow up................
The family member whose computer was used......
hired a video person to come in and tape a recreation to prove
that the access occured thru public links on their site and thru public search engine links. Many of the links, now come back with a 403-Forbidden Code. (The web person did say, they were working on the code to correct the problem). But they didn't get
to all the pages before we were able to prove by video and the access was thru public links, not malicious and, of course, they can't change the search engine links, so that got video'd.
The day after this was done.............another post showed on their website...............indicating that we are continuing to access a paid area and now the who paid area is being discontinued until they can correct the problem. I feel this action, further incrimated us and tarnishes our reputions.

Am I wrong? Can anything be done here to put a stop to this?
Sorry, I didn't mean to get long winded.
What kind of a lawyer can I talk to.
HELP !!!!

Lol

Ok dude. A webmaster can do anything they want on theit site as long as it breaks no laws. Reputations being tarnished is not illegal. Next time, just use a proxy to access the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back