He sold me a lie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yotan02

Jurisdiction
Georgia
A man sold me a washer for $100 and a trade of my old washer. He stated that it came with a warranty. The washer stopped washing correctly the first week. He promised to fix it. He never did. After inboxing him a few times about the washer, he stated he would refund my money. I missed work waiting on him to bring my money. He never did. The washer stopped spinning before the thirty days were up. Can I sue in a civil case? Will he be liable for court cost? Can I sue for the day I missed at work?

Do you have any evidence of the warranty or promise to refund? If so you might have something to work with in small claims. You could sue for $100 plus the value of your traded washer plus court fees. You will not be compensated for missing work.
You may find it cheaper and more convenient to simply take the loss and get a new washer.

Can I sue in a civil case? Will he be liable for court cost? Can I sue for the day I missed at work?

Yes, you can sue the person in small claims court.

However, you'll need to discover where he resides or does business so that he can be served by a deputy or law enforcement officer.

If you bought the item from a business, you sue the business.

Whether its a business or person, you also have to bring the small claims case in the county where the person resides, or the business sits.

Yes, if you prevail, the other party allegedly pays court costs.

You won't recover the money you lost (or will lose) pursuing the case.

You potentially can recover the cost of the item and your court costs.

Now, the dirty, little secret.

Let's say you prevail, the judge issues a judgment saying Bear Man owes Rabbit Woman $500.

That doesn't mean you will ever get $1.00.

You first must register the judgment with the right clerk.

That often means you spend more money.

Then you have to find out what assets Bear Man has that the sheriff can seize to saysify yoru judgment.

Bear Man could have 200 bee hives, 40 blueberry patches, and 25 caves, he rents to other bears.

In all likelihood, most of Bear Man's assets are untouchable.

Most small claims litigants never collect a dollar of their judgment, plus they spend mor emoney chasing money.

It is a vicious circle, like a dog chasing her tail.

I wish you well.

Can I sue in a civil case?

Yes. Anyone can sue anyone for anything.

Will he be liable for court cost?

If you win, you should be able to recover your filing and service fees as part of the judgment.

Can I sue for the day I missed at work?

Yes, but you won't get it.

Any commentary about whether you can collect on any judgment you might get is nothing but speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back