Having to pay my school for a camera I didn't break

Status
Not open for further replies.

x4words

I didn't know where this should go, so I posted it here...
I am in Los Angeles County in California, USA.

I am a senior at my high school, and am a photographer for my school's yearbook.

At the beginning of this year, I checked out a camera to do my duties.
I've used it since I checked it out. I was the first person to use this camera, but had to turn it in during winter break (when the teacher took it home and used it for personal use. However, once the break was over, I got the camera back and it worked just fine.)

One of the lenses that came with the camera broke. I called the maker of the camera, Cannon, and they said that it is covered under a one year warranty and could be sent back along with the receipt.
Let me make this part clear: The camera did not break because I was using it wrong or damaged it in any way at all. I never dropped it, put it in water, or anything like that. It seriously broke all on it's own.

I told the person who checked it out to me, and told them they should send it back. They told me that it was my responsibility since it was checked out to me.

I spoke to the principal, and he feels the same way.

If I don't buy a new lens (about $500), It will be charged to my student account and I can't graduate until I pay it off.

Is it right that they are going to charge me for it when the damage is covered under a warranty and I did not cause the damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back