Has anyone noticed an increased police presence in NYC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

attyblock

New York City Cell phone tickets sykyrocketed since last year. The number of NYC cell phone tickets handed out since last year increased by 50% due to police officers becoming much more attuned to the habits of cell phone using drivers. Almost 50,000 tickets have been issued since 2014 while over 75,000 cell phone tickets were written elsewhere in New York State, a 35% increase from 2013 numbers. Drivers beware!

Just noticed this message, perhaps a bit late. I'm in New York City and I have not noticed any increased police presence. Truth is that I would love to be a police officer for a day so that I can be the one handing out tickets to some of the terrible drivers who can't drive properly even if they weren't blabbing on their cell phone! The tickets themselves aren't extremely large - cell phone and texting traffic tickets are $100 maximum according to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) penalties for texting / cell phone usage while driving. They do say that a texting while driving ticket will result in points on your driver's license although it doesn't state how many. Maximum fines for texting while driving are the same as cell phone usage while driving without a hands free device - $150 - although I'm not sure when it can proceed beyond the maximum level stated in the footnote of $100. Still, it is something -- and I had no idea that almost 50,000 tickets were issued in 2014! I guess New York City needs to make revenues somehow!

These days, with the advent of Siri and Google Voice, no one I know texts while driving, they simply talk while driving.
I had occasion to be driven to a minor league baseball game on Sunday.
My son drove, and my grandsons were in the backseat.
Geoff's use of Google voice while driving exhibited a skill I don't have, nor do I seek. LOL
The world is changing.

I guess New York City needs to make revenues somehow!

New York City makes very little, if any, money from cell phone tickets or most other traffic tickets.

Parking tickets are where the revenue is at.

New York City Cell phone tickets sykyrocketed since last year. The number of NYC cell phone tickets handed out since last year increased by 50% due to police officers becoming much more attuned to the habits of cell phone using drivers. Almost 50,000 tickets have been issued since 2014 while over 75,000 cell phone tickets were written elsewhere in New York State, a 35% increase from 2013 numbers. Drivers beware!

What is the source for your statistics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back