Harrassment by Super/Landlord

coxmg

Jurisdiction
New York
This is within Brooklyn, NYC. so my superintendent who lives downstairs asked me if i had a girlfriend living with me i said no its just a house guest. He said i cant have her here? isnt it illegal for them to just kick out a house guest? Shes only staying for 7 days. He said there have been complaints about noise coming from my apartment. But to be honest i have probably had about 10 house guests within the past 4 months or so so i can understand why they think something may be going on here. However most of the noise is from music that im turning on myself and not from young ladies staying with me. None have then have been here for longer than 7 days, and its usually between 1 and 3 days.

This follows a series of harassing encounters with my landlords superintendent. I have never heard from the main office about any of this but i hear from this nutjob super about various problems every so often. First off i had a roach problem and the super asked to fumigate my apartment which we completed successfully and have not had any roaches since. Then he complained that I had a busted pipe and we got this fixed but i had waited about 2 days to tell the super it was leaking some and the neighbor downstairs complained. I am honestly not sure if its the super himself who is complaining or its just that the neighbors downstairs are somehow complaining about me as a tenant.

Given all of this, how hard would it be for my landlord to evict me even im still having overnight guests?

Read your lease.

Your lease determines what actions can cause you to potentially end up in tenant-landlord court.

Ten house guests all over a 4 month period could be a problem.

I suggest you stop making your life difficult, simply obey your lease.

The revolving guests are going to cause you to be evicted, which would make renting decent housing impossible for 20 to 30 years, or longer.

Back