Harrassing neigbor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizstahrr45

I and my husband have been harrassed and threatend by our neighbor whom lives below us. He is a owner in this 190 unit building and we are renting from a owner. This man for past two years have started the day after we moved in by leaving a note at our door stating he wished for a meeting for us to discuss ways to be quiet for his convience. We where for a meeting and I Informed this man that it would have to be after the holiday since we moved in mid December and had to settle in and had children visiting from out of state and this seem to sit well with this man, so we thought. While my children where out here he convinced my sons to participate in a noise test, to which my son informed that occurred while my husband and I where at work. My son said it was embarrassing because the noise was bearly audible. This made us leary of him because his behavior was bizzarre least to say scarry. This man then made several attempts to our door and I informed him that we wished no further contact with him verbally. He then resulted to sending a letter and when that didnt net him the positive response he had hoped for he sent a certified letter that we refused to pick up that was returned to him and when we came home from work one day we found it attached to our door. This mand would and continues to act out violently with flushing of the toilet to if we drop something mistakenly. He has screamed obsenities from his balcony and threatening to quiet us down one way or another as well as pounding violently on his ceiling. I finally had to file a restraining order which to judge granted me a conduct order which he can not threaten stalk or contact us direclty or indirectly until the hearing. Do you have advise or speculation what our rights are and dose this mans behavior not seem very abnormal? I look forward to all responses.

Last edited:
The lastest harrassment happened last nite when my stepson accidently bumped into the kitchen chair and it made a noise and the neighbor below us started screaming obscenties and then had the nerve to call the police on us. The officer that showed up was very nice as well as helpful when we explained our dilema to him and he was the one that suggested we obtain a restraing order and then go to court to have the court system settle this.

Last edited:
I assume you live in a condo. Have you spoken to your landlord? You have rights too and if you can't enjoy the property, you can leave and break your lease. If you want to stay it becomes a little more complicated but you may need to involve the owner and deal with a condo board and that can get messy. You may need to do what the officer told you to do as, unfortunately, there is no easy way to handle this and may be the best route. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

hey want to let you know that we went to court and that the judge ruled in our favor The neigbor was slapped with conduct order for the next year to not contact us in any shape or form. The judge also informed this neighbor that he had anger issues and that he should get himself into anger management classes and that if he violates these orders that he will go to jail and in addition pay 5000 dollar fine. Thank you for your response.

also our landlord was so elated over this situation being setteled that he gave us money off our rent for court cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back