Harassment/exploitation by live-in caretaker in rooming house

Status
Not open for further replies.

stenowitz

Note: I say "harassment/exploitation" in the title not to be hyperbolic, but simply because I wasn't sure how to sum up the situation.

I rent a room in a large house with six other roommates. No lease.
I've had problems with the caretaker, and to a lesser extent, the owners.
Here's my complaint against them, in no particular order of severity:

The caretaker:
- Hit me up to pitch in on work on the property that he doesn't want to do. E.g. I've done yard work and other things for the owners, which under Minnesota state law, I'm entitled to be compensated for.
- Hit me up to share in the cost for house supplies he's bought (everyone buys their own.)
- If I refuse the things he asks of me, he becomes hostile or even threatening, including threat of eviction.
- And it's generally a hostile environment to live in. There's a number of examples I could provide: like the day he locked me out of the house in the dead of winter. (Eventually, a roommate let me in.)
- Failed to pay for damages to my personal property.
- Failed to return things I've lent, or used them and then threw them away.
- Compared to the other tenants, I'm by-and-large singled out. So the patterns of treatment tend to be prejudicial.

The owners:
- Failed to repair/replace basic appliances (fridge.)
- Failed to supply CRP's.
- Ignore valid complaints about the caretaker, property, etc.

I realize some of these things aren't terrible compared to what other people have been put through, but the fact remains: who should have to pay rent for this BS? What I want is what I would hope anyone living together would be entitled to: domestic peace, the free and unhindered access to my rented room and basic facilities, and without attempts to exploit or harass. As I'm not getting that, I want them to pay my moving expenses since I'm forced to leave.

Do I have a case, what kind of damages could I seek, and in what court?

Thanks very much.

Yeah, I know about remedies for appliance repairs. It's not just one thing, like the fridge. I'm seeking damages against them for the list of items I mentioned; I'm wondering if I have a case or not.

Since you've not provided detailed information on what damages have been done to your private property, what items you've lent that have not been returned or thrown out and what supplies you've been hit up to buy, it's impossible for us to provide information as to whether a lawsuit would be financially beneficial to you.

Gail

Since you've not provided detailed information on what damages have been done to your private property, what items you've lent that have not been returned or thrown out and what supplies you've been hit up to buy, it's impossible for us to provide information as to whether a lawsuit would be financially beneficial to you.

Let's just assume it's financially beneficial. Having a case, and the value in pursuing that case, are two different things. And right now, I need to establish the former. I'm prepared to litigate or go to SC court.

I may be able to seek damages for more than just the obvious things you mention, e.g. "intent to inflict mental distress" (or whatever the tort lingo is.) I also might be content with them paying my moving expenses so I that can get out of here. (An unusual notion to have them pay, I realize, but they are after all the cause of my difficulties in living here.)

Are you a lawyer, or do you have knowledge of court cases like this?

Lawsuits are about money. What, exactly, have you lost financially?

You'd have a hard "row to hoe" attempting to prove that you need to be financially compensated for pitching in to do yard work, feeling picked upon, etc..

Far better to be able to present "hard evidence" to a court on what you've lost financially.

Gail

Lawsuits are about money. What, exactly, have you lost financially?

Yes, lawsuits are about money. Not necessarily financial loss though. Although I've had that here too.

You'd have a hard "row to hoe" attempting to prove that you need to be financially compensated for pitching in to do yard work, feeling picked upon, etc..

The yard work is an easy one: compensation is specifically provided for under Minnesota tenant law, no interpretation required. I covered that in my original post; please read it non-selectively before commenting. Locking someone out of their house on a cold winter day is not "picking on them". It's an act of aggression. And it's denying them what they've paid for. You can blow it off after it's been done to you. The other examples I have are similar to that, where a line has clearly been crossed.

Assuming I can provide evidence and/or witnesses to everything I've said, the question is what can I get for the non-tangible things I've mentioned? I guess there's no point in going further with this thread, and I should just call a lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back