Harassment, Stalking, Misconduct harassment calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthok

my friend was pulled over for failure to use the turning signal. When the drivers llicense was run, the officer found that my friend had a warrant for his arrest in another county for making harassment calls. Now bail was paid, which was $550. Now he went to court today and tried to plead nolo but the judge refused it because that meant that my friend was not admitting guilt for what he did. Before my friend pleaded nolo, the judge explain the procedures and the choices that the defendant has, which is 'guilty' 'not guilty' or 'nolo' and the last depended whether the person had any priors. well, this is the first time my friend has even been in trouble with the law. when he was called up by the judge, he told him that he wanted to hear the facts of the case before he accepted the plea. the solicitor told the judge that my friend had made repeated harassment calls on february 25 of this year and that he had made some the year prior and was advised to stop. So, the judge said that he did not accept the plea and that he would grant a continuance if he so required. When there was recess, the solicitor talked to my friend and told him that they were recommending $500 fine, 12 month probation and 40 hrs of community service. Now if my friend had pleaded guilty, would the judge had gone by the recommendation or would he sentenced him to something diffent? I told him he should just plea not guilty and get a lawyer even though its a misdemeanor. Also, does anyone know why the judge did not accept the nolo, it seems to me that my friend went to court but the judge had already decided he was guilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back