Harassing Sublettor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarjorieM

Hello,

I am the sole lease holder to a three bedroom apartment in Brooklyn, NY. Two months ago I allowed a friend and his girlfriend to move into one of the rooms, charging them a lower rent than the previous roommate had paid because they were in a bad spot and I was trying to help them out, and I was financially able to pay the higher rent. There is no signed written agreement between us.

Since they moved in, the friendship has turned sour, as the male has been nothing but drama. He is going through drug withdrawal and is very insecure, unstable, and disruptive, always picking fights, coming home late, etc.

He has been verbally abusive towards me in emails and in person. When I sent an email reminding him of the apartment rules, such as no smoking in the house, he responded with highly derogatory and threatening language.

This past weekend he called me incessantly at 5:00am, wanting to 'hang out', and when I declined his offer screamed words such as 'cunt' and 'bitch' at me over the phone. I felt threatened, and the next day told him via text message that he must leave my apartment in two weeks. I also spoke to his girlfriend in person, and said that she could stay, but that he must leave, and when she offered to pay me rent I said that until further notice I would accept half month's rent until the situation was sorted out.

The following day I told him in person that he must leave my apartment in two weeks. He blew up at me, stating that he's 'reported' me to the landlord, that the landlord was in accord with him as to me being a terrible tenant and a terrible person, and that since he has mail delivered to the apartment he is classified as a legal resident, and will not leave without 60 days notice, and further, that if I don't stay out of his way, he will make my life a living hell.

As regards this 'month to month' non-contractual sublet, I understand that I must give him 30 days written notice to vacate. Is this correct?

Also, is there anything I can do to protect myself or get him to leave sooner than 30 days as I feel threatened and harassed by him and uncomfortable in my apartment? Can I get a restraining order, for example, and thereby get him to move out?

Am I obligated to create a sublet agreement and if do, do I need to give him a copy of the lease as well?

Lastly, the door to my room does not have a lock on it. May I put a lock on, as I feel I need to protect myself and my belongings from this person, and do I need to ask/notify the landlord beforehand?

Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back