harassed by a lawyer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadit1

Hi,

We have a neighbor who's harassing us, and he's a lawyer!
It seems he and his girlfriend feel they're untouchable, and they have actually used it as a threat, as if his being a lawyer is something we should be afraid of.

They are tenants in the condo next to me, and we own ours.
We asked them to follow some rules that the homeowners association has in place, and they refused, with impunity to boot.
Then we asked the homeowners association to enforce their own rules. The HOA notified them, and when they still didn't comply, they started to fine the neighbors.

Now the neighbors are complying, but at a price....now they're harassing us. They called the police and accused us of driving a screw into their car tire, which of course, is ridiculous.
We keep our distance from them, since every encounter is a negative one. The police said they couldn't write up a report, but the neighbor has insisted on having some kind of written notation about it.

Someone pointed out to me they may be trying to create a fictitious "history of harassment" on my part, as if to give them some kind of basis to do something more extreme...after all, he's threatened me with the fact that he's a lawyer....

My question is, what do we do to protect ourselves from these people? Should I be initiating a restraining order? I find scratches on my car, packages delivered to my door go missing, but of course I can't prove anything...

Last edited:
I'd guess the scratches, and missing packages, are an attempt to get you "fired up", or to try to get you to start something, so they may call the police again.

From the way it sounds, and I'm no expert, you should try to get something in the way of paperwork, to back yourself up. Keep copies of the letters sent to the HOA, and try to get copies, if possible, of anything they may have discussed with the tenant.

It def. sounds like they are now set to try and screw you, so I'd be very careful. If possible, I'd try to ignore the neighbors as much as possible, (which I'm sure you do), and maybe they'll get bored??

Good Luck, and please let us know what you do. :)

Thanks Rathi,
we do have our copies of old letters regarding the initial dispute that was settled by the HOA, I guess now we'll have to start a new file for the letters to the HOA about the harassment.

I've heard, but am not sure, that the HOA can possibly influence the landlord to evict them. It's an extreme measure, I'd be happy just with a 'cease and desist....'
But since as he's a lawyer, I'm pretty sure the landlord's already somewhat intimidated by him, as we can tell from a conversation we've had with her.

Thanks for taking the time,

Robin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back