Handling a speeding ticket by mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaill

I was stopped for going 80 on the NY Thruway (65 mph limit). After sending in the not guilty plea, I received a letter from the town court scheduling me for an appearance. And then the letter said, "If you wish to handle this by mail, it is suggested that you write a letter describing the circumstances and your expectantions to ...".
Now what I would like is to plead this down to a broken speedometer or something like that, so I would only pay the fine and not get any points. From what I've been told, it's the normal thing to do in my circumstances in that court. But how do I express it in the letter in the correct form? I could have a lawyer handle this, but I wonder, if it's only a matter of writing the right letter, if I could handle this myself with a bit of help from the good people on this forum.

Mike

Yes. Is it enough to just say that I'd like to settle for paying a fine and avoid points, or does the letter require legalese and is better handled by a lawyer?
The court letter asks me to describe "circumstances", so what am I expected to write, that I wasn't speeding but would agree to pay the appropriate fine?
There must be tens of thousands of these letters written every year. I assume a lawyer has a stock letter where only names and numbers are changed.

Mike

Write out a clear and concise statement in plain and simple English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back