Hacker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkranger

My issue that I would like a little information about is as follows:

For the past month and a half now I have been having a problem with a hacker. I installed a program called Origin which is a gaming program made by a gaming publisher called Electronic Arts that basically consolidates all games published by EA into it for easy access, meaning you don't have to go searching for the CD to play a game you would like to play you just go to this program and you have it there to install/play. Well, my account info for it had gotten hacked by a Russian hacker, I knew this because I had been receiving account change emails from Origin in Russian. My credit card information was also saved on it and I had been charged roughly 250 dollars worth of purchases, which my bank had gotten in touch with me about, and this was how I originally found out I had been hacked. I got that cleared up and then contacted EA support through chat originally to get my account back, I then proceeded to fix my account and added some security to it. EA also has a call back option for support so I did that as well on the same day to get all the games purchased by the hacker removed from my account since I didn't actually pay for them to avoid any long term consequences. Got it fixed.

The following day my account is gone again, so I repeat the process have them call me to get it back, games removed once again and the EA support guy gives me a couple programs to use to help keep my computer safe, which it did, for 3 days. I lose my account a third time but this time I notice I got emails from EA support that I never was involved with plus I looked at the cases to see that there were a couple that I was not aware of involving my accounts password, email changed and security questions removed, so I have them call me again, this time the guy suggests that I run a boot scan and then have them call me back, which I do, so I get my account back once again, which was great for a week, plus I added a note to the case to not change any information without contacting me and providing my number as well.

So I lose my account a fourth time, this time I have them call me, I tell them how I have received emails that I was not aware of from EA support and how I have cases I never were involved with involving my password, email and security questions. I also described how I left a note to contact me. I am given a supervisor who asks me about what is going on, so I explain everything up from the first day I was hacked, all the processes I used to help protect my PC as suggestions from her support staff, so I am put on hold a lot this time as they scramble around for any possible way to keep my account secure. In the end, they decided that changing my email is the way to go. I change my email, decide to completely wipe my hard drive and split it into two partitions, one for important stuff and games that are worth hacking and the other for anything else. I am good for roughly 2 weeks.

My lose my account a 5th time!!! This time however, I never receive emails about changes to my account like I have the previous times. I have EA support call me again, talk to the guy about my situation, how I think EA employee's are giving my account info to this hacker and he puts me on hold, comes back and literally tells me, himself, that it is indeed their fault and not mine, they have been giving this guy my account info, he read the chat conversation himself. I am put on hold as he talked to his supervisor about it. Comes back and they decide to get my account back and he puts notes on my account saying that Chat personnel are unable to assist with my account and that they need to call my cell number to ask me to answer one or maybe both security questions that he had me come up with personally with answers before changing any account information. And told me that this would pop up on their screen immediately after accessing my account. So I am like AWESOME!! Get done, fix my security stuff and added a login verification that didn't work previously but it was through emails which I didn't trust they did have text option but it wasn't an option anymore.

The next day I receive two emails from EA customer service, I checked daily to make sure, so I tried logging in on the Origin account, I never changed the password again after the Support guy changed it for me, so I tried it again, didn't work... so I requested a password change, put in my email and got a password change. Logged in no problems! So I am like YES! Finally safe... right? Wrong... I lose my account today for a 6th time... this time I am frustrated... I have them call me again, I explain to the guy what happened and how is this guy getting my account info. He accesses asks me my birth date which is a way they verify it is really my account so I answer and he is like okay yeah, this guy was given your account info saying he went through a lot of chat personnel. I am put on hold several times and finally he decides that the best course of action is to ban the account for 24 hours, after getting authorization to do so, until this guys information times out on my account then get it back. I question him about how am I to do this, how will they know it is actually me they are calling?? He assured me that he put a note in full caps that nothing is to be changed to this account while banned and when asked about the account to verify the birth date after 24 hours... so I am like okay cool. Now I am to wait 24 hours until tomorrow to have them call me and get this settled.

Now my concern right now is, if this Russian hacker was able to get my account info so easily... what happens if he has my birth date as well? I am worried that he may know someone within Electronic Arts who is giving him my information willingly or maybe he managed to talk my birth date out of one of them? The guy had access to my full name, country of residence even my playstation network account name, which has some of my information on it as well. Fortunately I don't believe my social security number is on any of this, but I hear if they have your full name and birth date they can get it.

What happens when I have them call me to get my account reactivated tomorrow, it's already activated.... do I have a possible lawsuit against Electronic Arts over all this?

You can sue anyone you want. I see no await here. Why? EA isn't responsible to prevent hackers, nor is any software manufacturer, in the sense that f you're hacked, the software vendor is the responsible party. The hacker is the perpetrator. But, being in Russia, you'll never touch him.

Read the exemptions provided for EA in the documentation supplied. He ever, if you sue them, the proof will be in how vigorously they defend, and how deep their pockets are compared to yours.

Yeah, I can understand if I am hacked, it's not against EA, that's my problem. My issue right now, however, is this guy is obtaining MY account info, from EA support staff. They are giving him MY account info! We had put some extreme security measures in place to help protect my account. We are talking notes on the account that pop up on their screens when accessing it saying that Chat personnel cannot assist with the account and setting up two special questions with answers that they had to call me personally to have answered, yet it was ignored. If it is that easy to get information from EA, what if he gets my birth date, full name and country of residence, I hear with that they can get social. Then what??

Once you suffer actual damages, come back and let us know.

The court won't act on "ifs" or "ands"

Yeah, I can understand if I am hacked, it's not against EA, that's my problem. My issue right now, however, is this guy is obtaining MY account info, from EA support staff. They are giving him MY account info! We had put some extreme security measures in place to help protect my account. We are talking notes on the account that pop up on their screens when accessing it saying that Chat personnel cannot assist with the account and setting up two special questions with answers that they had to call me personally to have answered, yet it was ignored. If it is that easy to get information from EA, what if he gets my birth date, full name and country of residence, I hear with that they can get social. Then what??

Well, with what you suspect or believe, you'd be best served to shut down or close the account.

Is it worth what COULD happen to place yourself at further risk?

Not in my view, and I bet if the worst case scenario occurs, that's exactly what EA's smart, experienced, crack legal representation will inquire.

Close the account, the utility isn't worth the risk in my view.

No, you can't sue EA.

I'm curious though - why would someone risk their job and criminal charges just to mess with one guy's account?

No, you can't sue EA.

I'm curious though - why would someone risk their job and criminal charges just to mess with one guy's account?

If he's in Russia, as OP speculates; he's risking nothing. Think "419" scammers in Nigeria, freaking untouchable.

I am thinking definitely Russian, first two days I had been receiving multiple Russian emails for account changes. After that, the guy already had some minor info from my account like the ID I use on the games. So they assumed it was me and just sent me verification emails in English as that is set as my primary language, one of the support staff I talked to said there was a second email(his) attached to my account also receiving the emails. He has 99% of the time been contacting their chat support instead of the call back support, which he only contacted once, but never finished the entire phone session. So through my gaming ID he is able to get my account with that. EA, I have noticed from experience, they don't ask for the date of birth for verification very often. So my assumption is he hung up on that phone call when they asked for that. So I think I may be good there. But yes, I am going to change the gamer ID, and also see about having my account cancelled and games move to a new account, with everything completely new, as at the moment, I don't trust EA very much with security.

Then again, the main purpose of this is not about the hacking, which is entirely my fault not EA, but in the case that somehow my personal information is given away, whether accidently or not, which causes further damage. But at the moment will definitely be taking steps to prevent that.

Again, thanks much for the input! Much appreciated!!! :):)

No, you can't sue EA.

Common sense is anything but common.

Some people can be REALLY stupid. Possibly don't think that far ahead. Or I would go this in depth with it.

Could be anything.

This is somewhat tongue-in-cheek...

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back