H Visa H-1b timing questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

phiend

Hi,

My employer is in the process of applying/converting my L-1b to a H-1b; however, I'd like to leave my company once my H-1b visa is approved.

I've got a few basic questions:

1. I've had a look into the H-1b visa transfer process and at least at a high level it looks like any potential employer would just need to complete an immigration form and then await transfer approval/denial. However, from general comments I've seen H-1b visa transfers are difficult, am I missing something?

2. Can I start a H-1b visa transfer prior to my H-1b visa becoming active? Or do I need to wait a certain period?

3. I've been told I'll need to go via US consulate once I travel outside of US, but I dont need to leave US to become a H-1b worker. If I try and transfer prior to getting visa stamp will that cause any issues?

4. Does the size of firm I try and join affect the chances of being approved for a transfer? I'd likely join a small firm

Thanks in advance for your help

1) H-1B Transfers are difficult because they require the same process as if it was a new H-1B application and there are also quotas that may be exhausted.

2) See answer in #1.

3) What if you leave and the transfer is not approved?

4) I don't think size matters as the primary criteria for approval. ;)

(a) Do you have a job lined up for the new company?
(b) You may want to take a good look at any provisions relating to the agreement with you and your company regarding their conversion of your visa as well.

Thanks for your response.

Your response to 1. worries me. I was under the impression that H-1b visas were portable. I was also under the impression that transfers were not subject to the quota requirements. On the basis of your answer my plan to get my H-1b visa approved with company A and then look for another job is undoubtedly flawed.

As you can tell I've not yet sorted out another job, partly because I dont believe any employer in this market environment and in the industry I'm in (investments) would approve recruitment now for a job to begin in October

The world is dynamic.

Our economy isn't, and neither is the H1B program.

You're always free to leave our country, if our laws aren't to your liking.

I was born here many moons ago.

We are planning our exit strategy.

The great thing about the USA is, the gate swings two ways!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back