Consumer Law, Warranties Gym contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlaRiptide

My wife signed me up with Youfit. http://www.youfithealthclubs.us

Their website says, "No Salesman, No Contracts, No Kidding: $10 per Month.

My wife had paid first and last month and had provided our credit card.
I did not want the membership and asked my wife to cancel it. She now informs me that there is a $25 cancellation fee and one must cancel within 30 days prior to the next month's renewal. Plus this must be in writing and mailed certified by the "member".

This sounds like a contract to me!! Is there any legal means of invalidating this contract using their words of "No Contracts" from their own website?

This smells of false advertising or something.

My desire is to send a letter indicating my intent to cancel the membership immediately and at the same time advise them that further use of my credit card is no longer authorized.

Is my approach legally sound?

My wife signed me up with Youfit. http://www.youfithealthclubs.us

Their website says, "No Salesman, No Contracts, No Kidding: $10 per Month.

My wife had paid first and last month and had provided our credit card.
I did not want the membership and asked my wife to cancel it. She now informs me that there is a $25 cancellation fee and one must cancel within 30 days prior to the next month's renewal. Plus this must be in writing and mailed certified by the "member".

This sounds like a contract to me!! Is there any legal means of invalidating this contract using their words of "No Contracts" from their own website?

This smells of false advertising or something.

My desire is to send a letter indicating my intent to cancel the membership immediately and at the same time advise them that further use of my credit card is no longer authorized.

Is my approach legally sound?

Yes, you're right on target.
But, these scavengers charge just enough to be annoying.
Once they get your credit card information, they keep using it.
They'll also pretend to NOT to have been notified of your intent to cancel.

You can complain to your credit card issuer.
You can also ask them to cancel the current card and get a new one.
That is a sure fire way to stop the charges.

I've changed credit card numbers in the past for similar recurring charges, yet the charges follow to the new card. My card issuer told me that the vendor has ways of discovering the new card number. Thus my only recourse is to dispute any new charges.

My wife was simply trying to be nice and surprize me as a birthday present. If only I had known so I could have warned against it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back