Guilty of Not Assisting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

demander

I am attending evening college classes and one happens to be Business Law. A lady student proclaimed during a session on NYS law that a person could be charged of a crime and found guilty simply by not assisting someone who was being assaulted. I found this very hard to believe. I am not a lady of large stature and do not feel that I could help someone out who was being mugged or raped. The best I could do would be to find help especially since I do not own a mobile phone. Is she correct? If so I think the legislators styed up all night dreaming this one up.
:confused:

demander said:
I am attending evening college classes and one happens to be Business Law. A lady student proclaimed during a session on NYS law that a person could be charged of a crime and found guilty simply by not assisting someone who was being assaulted. I found this very hard to believe. I am not a lady of large stature and do not feel that I could help someone out who was being mugged or raped. The best I could do would be to find help especially since I do not own a mobile phone. Is she correct? If so I think the legislators styed up all night dreaming this one up.
:confused:

Going to get help would constitue as assisting the victim. I am not sure what the term or codified law is in NY, but a lot of states have laws against depraved indifference. It is a civic duty to help people in an emergency without putting oneself in immediate risk of injury.

signat said:
Going to get help would constitue as assisting the victim. I am not sure what the term or codified law is in NY, but a lot of states have laws against depraved indifference. It is a civic duty to help people in an emergency without putting oneself in immediate risk of injury.

OK. It might be a civic duty, but my question was whether you could be charge with a crime for failing to offer assistance.

demander said:
OK. It might be a civic duty, but my question was whether you could be charge with a crime for failing to offer assistance.

Under certain circumstances and with the broadest interpretation of the word "assistance," - Yes.

Good Samaritan Law

In a seinfeld episode a man is robbed. While this is happening, Jerry, George, Elane, and Kramer, are watching. They are laughing. They then get taken to the courthouse and charged with violationg the good samaritan law, a law only found in one small town in massachuesettes. What they did was not ethical, but in real life they did not do anything legal.

Juse thought I would relate a great television show to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back