Recovery of Premises guest living in my garage, not paying rent - Need to evict him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ByondFrustrated

I have a friend that has been living in my garage for 2 1/2 years. The friendship has deteriorated due to him thinking he can just take over my garage to his liking. He does not come in the house to use the bathroom or shower. He stays outside. However, he does not pay rent, never has, and he does not do any work for me at all, in place of paying rent. He used to receive his phone bill for about 3 mos. in the mail, but that has stopped, his cell phone is no longer in servicve. He just keeps bringing things from his storage to my garage and backyard even after I have told him not to. I want him out. What kind of legal notice must I give him to get him out. I verbally told him I want him and all of his stuff gone by September 30, 2014. I want to follow up with a legal notice in writing as well. He has hit rock bottom and I feel bad for him but for the last 2 1/2 years, he has done nothing to try to find a job, he just sleeps all day, stays up all night, uses my electricity, water and doesn't pay me for anything. In January 2013, I told him I Wanted $40.00 a month from him toward the electric bill. He has a lot of things plugged in my garage, a compressor, all his lights, fans, a computer etc. He is just using me and my home, and I want him out. What can I do?

You can tell him anything. He's free to ignore you.
You have to formally evict him.
Be prepared for investigations to begin, if you're allowing a human being to live in a garage.
Personally, it's his choice.
But, many among us might see you as a slumlord.

Be very careful trying to evict the deadbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back