Greetings from Google & our Nation's Capital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Wechsler

Administrator
Staff member
Hello everyone - I thought I'd share with you some tidbits about my current trip to Washington, DC to meet with some members of Congress along with the great folks at the IAB, the Interactive Advertising Bureau. In case many of you don't know, the IAB is one of the leading organizations that impacts how advertising is conducted on the Internet and the Web. Ever wonder about where advertising sizes come from? Typically you'll hear the phrase "IAB Standard Ads" -- well, now you know. :)

Anyways... we had a very informative conference today at the Palomar hotel to discuss tomorrow's trip to Capital Hill to have a meaningful dialogue with the people that create the laws in this country (our members of Congress) with regard to "long tail" advertising. The long tail represents the numerous small and emerging businesses that, in the aggregate, total a very significant amount of activity and revenue generation. Our small group will be speaking with members of Congress about how some of the proposed legislature both works and fails with regard to the long tail and what should be remedied in order to ensure that this very important group can survive.

Tonight we had a dinner at Google in DC, which was a very interesting experience, including the awesome panoramic Google maps booth. I'll post some pictures - it's certainly a remarkable machine and a virtual planetarium all in the comfort of the office!

Time for sleep as we ascend upon Capital Hill early in the AM.

Here you go.

1) Welcome to the front desk of Google Washington, DC.
2) Without a doubt, the coolest map you have ever seen. It's Google Earth but using a panoramic camera that moves with you. Fly down and zoom towards earth in true surround, hang a left and watch how all the scenery moves with you. Someone get me a motion sickness pill. :)

View attachment 343 View attachment 342

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back