Grandfather clauses

R.Swisher

Jurisdiction
Kentucky
The mobile home park in which I've lived for the past 2½ years was sold to some new investors. One day last week I came home to find a notice to vacate paper stuck in my door. I called the number listed on the notice to find out what the problem was and the man that answered told me that it was because I hadn't submitted my rental application. (Which I never received). He said all i needed was to fill out a rental application. And that it would be reviewed and then filed for their record. I rent the home from my boss and he pays the lot rent and utilities. I can understand the new owners needing to update their lease agreement with my landlord. But telling me I have to apply if I wish to continue living someplace that I'm already been living going in 3 years. I should be grandfathered in, correct? I'm not in violation of any rules and the rent gets paid every month. This is a tactic they use for ridding themselves of trouble makers and eye sores. Which I am neither of. Any information or advice i can get on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I know I won't sleep well until I do. Thanks

The mobile home park in which I've lived for the past 2½ years was sold to some new investors. One day last week I came home to find a notice to vacate paper stuck in my door. I called the number listed on the notice to find out what the problem was and the man that answered told me that it was because I hadn't submitted my rental application. (Which I never received). He said all i needed was to fill out a rental application. And that it would be reviewed and then filed for their record. I rent the home from my boss and he pays the lot rent and utilities. I can understand the new owners needing to update their lease agreement with my landlord. But telling me I have to apply if I wish to continue living someplace that I'm already been living going in 3 years. I should be grandfathered in, correct? I'm not in violation of any rules and the rent gets paid every month. This is a tactic they use for ridding themselves of trouble makers and eye sores. Which I am neither of. Any information or advice i can get on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I know I won't sleep well until I do. Thanks
Fill out the rental form. The owners want/need to know who is living on their property.

I should be grandfathered in, correct?
There is no legal requirement that any sort of grandfather clause be applied.

I'm not in violation of any rules and the rent gets paid every month. This is a tactic they use for ridding themselves of trouble makers and eye sores. Which I am neither of. Any information or advice i can get on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I know I won't sleep well until I do. Thanks
Why is this even a question? What do you have to hide?

But telling me I have to apply if I wish to continue living someplace that I'm already been living going in 3 years. I should be grandfathered in, correct? I'm not in violation of any rules

This is apparently a new rule that applies to everybody in the park and can, therefore, be enforced per Kentucky statute 383.610.

statute.aspx (ky.gov)

From the landlord tenant statutes.

Kentucky Revised Statutes - Chapter 383

Fill out the application. Even if the notice to vacate was high handed and you pointed out the statute all they'd have to do is give you notice of the rule and you'd have to fill it out anyway, or leave.

It is quite possible your boss is not allowed to rent to your without permission and never got it.
Your application may have been required years ago. There is nothing wrong wiith the new ownership seeking it now. This should not be seen as a sign they view you as a troublemaker. It only means they recognize you are living there and they do not have your information.

I rent the home from my boss and he pays the lot rent and utilities. I can understand the new owners needing to update their lease agreement with my landlord. But telling me I have to apply if I wish to continue living someplace that I'm already been living going in 3 years. I should be grandfathered in, correct?

Depends almost entirely on the terms of your lease with your boss and your boss's lease with the park.

This is a tactic they use for ridding themselves of trouble makers and eye sores. Which I am neither of.

Great, then what's the big deal?

Back