Govt. Housing refusing an animal in process of being registered an ESA

T

Taschia

Jurisdiction
Ohio
I am current Tennant of government housing in Hamilton Ohio. I have anxiety and depression. I currently found a dog, which has helped me being able to function more reasonably. I'm looking into getting his registered as an emotional companion. Since he may exceed the size of animals excepted in our housing, if he is registered as an ESA, will I have to get rid of him? He is a mixed breed, and they are saying because he may exceed 30 pounds and 15inches, I cannot keep him.

Who is "they"? Do you have a documented disability for which this animal is therapeutic, or do you just want a dog because you would enjoy having one? Why is it you can not get a dog within the restrictions? Seems that would be the easiest route.

I got the dog before I was informed of the restrictions. I was advised by my doctor that a dog would be able to help with my condition. I was unaware of needing documentation at the time of getting the dog. I've invested a lot of money and time into the dog with vet bills and self training the dog. Since having the dog, he has helped with my condition.

Until the dog becomes a service animal, he's nothing but a dog.
If you continue to harbor the animal in your home, you could be evicted.
I suggest you do whatever the Housing Authority requires, otherwise you might end up in court, or worse, evicted.

Not informed? Or didn't bother to look into it? And your doctor saying you might benefit from having a pet is not the same as them prescribing a support animal. Is this a mental health professional or just your family doc? Exemptions to the size limits *can* be reasonable, but there are still caveats to that and right now, you just have a pet you enjoy. There are no protections for that.

Back