Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Got tagged along a friend shoplifting at Zellers (Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cary44

Hey there,
so when i was going home from work i usually walk through zellers. When i was in zellers i met my friend and she insisted to hang out with her to window shop. so i did. As we were leaving, one of the LP agents stopped us and told us to come to the office. Apperantly my friend had stolen something previously and because of her i got in trouble too. well just today i got a letter from Patrick K. Martin, stating that i owe them $595 for their time, loses and etc... i googled his name i came across a blog and many people who were in the sam situation ignored the letter and decided not to pay it off, because its a scam. and that they never follow up anyways. i dont know what to do?!! I clearly cant afford almost $600 before september 26th. should i ignore it or what?? i need help please!!

Re: Got tagged along a friend shoplifting at Store name (Can

Civil Demand is law and failure to pay can have many negative impacts. I agree many ignore these letters and nothing happens. No one here can promise that will be case with you. However I do have some questions

Did your friend steal on that day?
Were you with him entire time you were in store?
Were you aware of theft?

Ya i was with her at the store and no i didnt know that she had stolen something, until after we got approached by the LP. But isnt it true that they need to send in a court order to actually make me pay for it and take me to court...
and its absolutely unfair that they want me to pay them $600 in like 21 days... !!

Some states here in US wont allow you to press charges and seek Civil Demand both (only a few) What the laws are in your neck of the woods I cannot say. What I can say is the request is legal. Were Police called and do you have a pending court date?

Just for your info. Your getting some very poor advice from person with no knowledge of retail theft laws on other site your posting on

ya police were called, but they didnt know anything abt the fine or how much is might be and no i have no court date. never been to court in my life.

no, i wasnt charged or anything. i dont have a criminal record, but my friend did as she was the one who stole. But the only thing i m worried about is this stupid civil demand letter that i recieved few days ago to pay them $600, for nothing. and thats wat i m worried about. Because this is not easy money for me and i dont really wanna just give away $600 if i dont have to give it...

If you ignore the letter they can file suit and that after they triple fine. They can also send a negative report to credit reporting agencies as well. Not to mention if they choose they can file the criminal charges not filed at time. Its your call are you a gambler?

If you did not physically participate in the theft, they cannot legally charge you with cd...

Do not ignore the cd letter, call them, call the lp, call corporate and get them to remove the cd attached to your name.

Do this asap if you ignore it you run the risk of negative things happening to you.

If you are honest and really did nothing to facilitate the theft, you should not be assessed a cd penalty.

Talk to a civil lawyer if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back