Parole, Probation Got court in a few day need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn28607

Hello,
A few months ago I came back to new york after about 11-12 years to find I had a warrent from 1999 for vol. of probation. I don't really remember the details off what happened nor does the courts the arresting officers just told me I had a warrent and they didn't even know what it was for. I was a really messed up kid with lots of problems and now im a father of 3 that just moved my family back to ny to be closer to my side of the family any and all advice would be greatly helpful.

You are innocent until proven guilty.

If the police don't know anything much about this, you'd be wise to plead not guilty, hire an attorney (or ask the court to appoint one if your funds are low), shut up (you have the right to remain silent, use it), make no statements, admissions, or confession, and wait.

Silence and time are two very good companions. Another one is patience.

You aren't required to prove a damn thing.

The state has that burden.

Don't help them lock you up!

Lawyer up and shut up!

If the warrant issued while you were a juvenile then everything may just go away. The police would not know the details of the warrant, only that you had one... though they should have been able to tell you the charge and the bail amount.
Someone else, likely the DA, will have to dig up the paperwork regarding the matter and bring it to court. If they can't fine it, or if they simply choose not to prosecute, then the charges will be dismissed.
All you have to do is show up at the appointed time and plead not guilty. Do not accept any offers they might make without consulting an attorney. If they have no case to make your attorney will know it. No sense it taking an offer when you could get away with nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back