Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft got cought shoplifting at a walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtfpeterpan

i got cought a couple of days ago im 20 they made me sign a papper sayin that i cant be near any walmart store that was it they let me go after that. what happens to me now do they like send the cops after me, do i get a citation, do i have to go to court, can i go to jail for this? it was about 20 dollars worth of stuff. please help me

Re: got cought shoplifting at a Store Name

It appears the store is likely seeking a civil solution rather than criminal one. Expect a letter of "Civil Demand" for around $250.00. The store can file criminla charges but I find this unlikely. Its much easier to call Police at time not later

Admin said:
It appears the store is likely seeking a civil solution rather than criminal one. Expect a letter of "Civil Demand" for around $250.00. The store can file criminla charges but I find this unlikely. Its much easier to call Police at time not later

so does this mean that this will be on my record when i try to apply for a job do i need to go to court? can they get a warrant for my arrest? how long does it take to get the civil demand? is this going to be sent to the dmv?

The only record (long as criminal charges are not filed) will be within store and any retail theft database they might subscribe to. The Civil Demand letter can take days, weeks even months to arrive, it varies

Like Admin said, you're best off paying the fine, don't pay it and they might decide to charge you.

Pay the fine.

Stay away from the store and its affiliates.

Do not steal again. Especially from that store or its affiliates.

The civil demand is going to be through a third party vendor. Lets say you get caught on a Thursday. The LP puts the report in that day. His supervisor then reviews it and submits it to the stores corporate. They review it on Friday and send it to the third party law firm working on behalf of the company. That company won't look at it until Monday (at earliest) and then they will start their process which could take several days. So be patient and keep checking your mail. If you haven't received anything in six months or so, you should be in the clear.

(This all is based on you giving them the proper mailing address etc).

if i pay the civil demand will it go on my record? meaning if i go looking for a job will they see that? again they didnt call the cops on me.

If a criminal background check is run no. If the store that stopped you subscribes to the retail theft database and so does place you seek employment it could be seen yes

When you steal, you run the risk of people finding out whether or not the police are involved.

If you are worried that they have filed charges go online to your courts website. Many courts have a function where you can search your name and see if there are court records (IE pending charges, etc). If that doesn't work, then your next bet would be to contact the courts. In all honesty, if they were going to press charges they would have most likely contacted the authorities at the time of your incident.

You only signed one paper? That seems odd. Usually you will sign several papers including a civil demand, trespass and maybe even an admission of guilt. You also have a legal right the information that you signed. Granted, they might not turn the papers over to you at that time, but your lawyer can subpoena all evidence the store has against you if you do indeed go to trial.

Without telling us the store name or location, what type of retailer was this? Grocery, specialty, department store, hardware store? PLEASE DO NOT SHARE THE NAME OR LOCATION

For around $20 worth of stuff you probably won't get prosecuted, but expect a civil demand, trespass and the possibility of being entered into the National Theft Database that many retailers subscribe to.

well its all of it they sell groceries, clothes, car stuff its a big retail store

what was the paper you signed? did you get a copy of it?

I work for a pharmacy type store, 2 papers to sign, and charges are pressed no matter what the $ figure is.

Gotcha. Your chances of being prosecuted are slim to none. Big chains have dollar limit restrictions on prosecution. Now if you violate the trespass you will most likely be charged. They usually have a year and a day to prosecute misdemeanor cases.

Theres no way we can know that. Your previous answer came as close to answering that as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back